Innovation on the DS

Pinquotriot

Registered
Jun 23, 2005
The idea behind the DS is to let developers create innovative titles. However, most of the titles I've seen are not that innovative, just an extra screen to see through. It makes me wonder how many games will be truly innovative on this system.

Does anyone have any ideas for an innovative game involving both screens and touch?

I think a really good idea would be to have a custom controller on the bottom screen with the action happening up top. For example, you could have a mech-simulation game or something with dials and buttons and levers on the bottom screen that the user can press and move around by touching the screen. The main controls would still be the actual DS buttons and stuff, but stuff like shifting gears, zooming in and stuff would be done with the touchpad. There could be a radar and if you want to zoom in on a particual part of the map, you could press on it and a small window would open up showing what's going on there. Or if you want to lock onto a target, you just press the screen where it's at to lock on. Then there could be a bunch of little dials and switches you could flip by touching the screen and stuff. There could be like a miniature version of Steel Batallion! That would be awesome. I'm sure someone will think of making custom controls like that... in fact, it's probably in production right now!

that one seems like a decent idea. I wouldn't call it earth shattering, but it's a good use of the touch screen.

If this is going to have connectivity, then I can think of a few ideas, but aside from that, everyone has called the DS something that will be loaded with ideas, and I see one that's not bad.

Think about it, anyone think of any way to innovate fighting games? No, you can't use the touch screen to simulate an attack,because it would take too long. And using it to target specific body parts would be almost impossible with the movements of both characters. You would need something that you can do without taking your eyes off the screen. Anything that involves jamming the touchpad, or touching it once is not going to be anything near innovative.

How about first person shooters, aside from using the screens to show two characters, or a different view of one. Once again, on two character mode, touching the screen to move between characters is not innovative, or is using the screen to move one character. That would be too much work.

Pin, I dont know about you but I dont have to look at the controller when I play games, I dont have to look at the dance pad when I play DDR, when you are a gamer its not very hard to remeber where a button is. On the FPS, have you not seen Hunters? Wow the controls for that looks truly amazing, they where able to give a Handheld basically the same control you have with a mouse on a comp FPS!

Ouch, burned in two posts.

Hey, even with pessimism, I'm still gonna buy it because I'm a sucker for Nintendo. I'm just tired of hearing the word "innovative" for something that has yet to prove itself to be it. That's all.

Well, as for me talking about touching the screen, I'll go ahead and be defensive. I was refering to BatChao's idea. With such a small screen, a lot of buttons would be smaller, and you would have to look constantly to make sure you're pressing the right now. Now, I'll also agree that with practice you don't have to worry about it. That point is well recieved, Kikal.

I also have not seen Hunters and will definitely check on it. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I've not checked the DS games in a while.

You MUST check out hunters, I was skeptical of the touchscreen use for that game, but seening the videos of people playing it made me a believer of how great it is.

The DS is going to be bundled with PictoChat intigrated into the hardware, and a demo of Metroid Prime Hunters. so if you buy one, you will be able to play it.

the only thing that im a little worried about, that the DS might bring, is the GBA. The GBA is still going strong. i dont know if this is the best time to release this system. Nintendo might take business away from themselves. but we will see.

If they delay the DS i will kill something i can't wait 2 more weeks because i have no handheld system to play and i *twitch* need one

The DS is Nintendo being Nintendo. Nintendo thinks they have a great idea that will change the industry, but they don't say how or why.

The DS will be connectivity all over again.

So it's just the Big N being the Big N hmm...
what exactly do you mean by it will be connectivity all over again?
At least they are trying to make a dent in the way games are being played microsoft and sony are just taking the safe path
"Nothing ventured, Nothing gained"

get a GBA SP. it is only 79.99$ and if you look, you can usually get a free game or gift card when you buy one. plus, it can play every type of GameBoy game. and you can play multiplayer with it, unlike the DS. you can play GBA games on the DS, you just cant play multiplayer GBA games on the DS.

you are not looking very far ahead are you, not being rude but if i bought that i would waste 80 bucks on an out dated handheld, thats almost as bad as buying the original Gameboy for the original price and the multiplayer is fairly horrible because you have to buy a cable to use it and if the wire frays well your screwed and i have bad luck with wires fraying, and the only multiplayer game i play is Advanced Wars and you don't need to use the cable for that so i am not going to buy a SP it is too late for that

ds vs gba sp

i agree, the gba would be a waste of money and pointless to do when theres a new system out. but for multyplayer i would get one. but you have to recharge the sp so y not just get a reg gba? im sure that nintendo will come up with a new ds that will have virtual multiplayer, as in, if u have ever seen a gamboy poket, it has the black lazer box that transfers data for multiplayer. that is what they will do. they just havnt figured a way to place that. or atleast i hope they are working on it.

If you give the developers time they will make a game that is really innovative on the DS. But I am starting to fear that the PSP will get the upper hand on the DS.

it depends on weither u can play ps2 and ps3 games on the psp if it will over come the ds. personally im more for the psp because of it being the first playstation handheld. but if it wont play the ps2 games then im not really that interested. But if the ds will get a better games and adapt to accept the ds on regular GBA games, meaning use the ds to make the regular games better. so that GBA games would be able to use on GBA and use the 2nd screen and make the game better for the ds

you will not be able to play ps2 games on there. The psp has disks that kind of look like the ones on the Gamecube. If they make the ps3 support those kind of disks that would be bomb. But I do not think the psp has that kind of power.

Im with you it would be the shit if the ps3 was capable of playing psp games. im realy in to rockstar productions, so im hoping they will come out with games for the psp such as midnight 3 or san andreas. But the ps3 being able to burn stuff wil be a good thing for the psp, if and only if, the psp games dont have a protect burn thing on them so that u could burn ps3 or ps2 games to a psp disk. just a sugestion though. if that works, i would make sure its a like a demo disk or some game u dont like atleast