I hate Sony

spudlyff8fan

Super Senior Staff
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
somewhere
I like to think of myself as a reasonable person. I also like to believe in people doing the right thing. in many ways, believe it or not, I'm an optimist. But not anymore! SONY HAS FORCED LIK-SANG TO CLOSE DOWN. For those of you who have absolutely no knowledge of anything important. Lik-Sang is an import site based in Hong Kong, who ships games from Asia to Europe and North America. Whenever there's a big DS game that comes out in Japan that gets imported here, in all likelihood, it was bought at Lik Sang. But, because they were planning on selling Japanese PS3s in Europe, SCEE sued them into the ground.

So yeah, I hate Sony.

so are you still rooting for the PS3? or have u changed sides?

oh and yea extremely dumb mistake by Sony, really really dumb.

It wasn't silly or stupid of Sony. Now they get all the money from selling to retailers, who give them a cut, while Lik Sang wouldn't have. The main thing is how this had alot of seeming malice in it. They probably spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to shut down an important gaming website to save themselves probably less money than they would've lost to Lik-Sang. They did it to show their power. Period.

And I was never rooting for Sony. People here were just wrongly hating on Sony, so I just made sure to point out the (numerous) statements that were incorrect when discussing Sony.

really? i thought you were sony bias, sorry for sterotyping you spuds, but who are you rooting for?

Yeah, Sony is living the capitalist dream, but it does suck for the consumer. I remember that if you wanted a 1 gig memory stick for the PSP early on, you had to import it through a site like Lik-Sang.

Also, rooting between multi-billion dollar conglomerates like Sony and Microsoft is like rooting for either the phone company or cable...they're both out to screw you. You only hope that the market works out to keep the average consumer from being screwed too much, the industry that supports a hobby like video games continues to create worthwhile products and the hobby itself isn't hurt and remains vibrant.

Yea Sony just put a foot in there mouth. I mean was it not said the PS3 would be region free. I was to inmport some games to play on a US PS3. But with sites like that going down what would be the reason for REGION FREE GAMING. Or maybe it's because Sony is in fear of still not having enough systems to cover anyone. On ebay you can't sell a PS3 until it is out and then you must provide TONS of info adn proof that you have the system before ebay will post the sale.

In truth, Sony basically makes their money off of peripherals and software. I think flexing their might was an appropriate assessment. Get the systems out there, then either make them pay the piper or just sell your extra gadgets like mad. I understand them wanting as much of a cut as possible, though. Especially when they might need all the money they can scap together. I saw an article last week about a major Japanese technology expert questioning the hardware capabilities of Sony (due to the chip issues and the cable-less tv being delayed). Their stock dropped half a point. That's a big deal going into a season where your stock should be more valuable.

They'll be better after January, but it won't be as wonderful as with the PS2.

Sony is mainly making their money off the game companies now. The game companies have to pay to put the games on the console, pay for the disk to put the game on and then they have to give them a cut for selling a game on their console and selling a game on their disk.

Do you not think that that is going to alienate a lot of developers?

I'll tell you what, if I was a developer, I'd be taking a good hard look at console sales over the next several months, and then unless Sony is a clear winner, I wouldn't waste my production budget on paying for the priveledge of making them money. I'd produce for Wii and 360 and use the money I would have wasted at Sony to make better games or more games.

Nope. It's alienating no developers. It's alienating small publishers...but the only small publishers work with the PC...so it doesn't matter at all.

Developers do take a look at the sales and software. Why do you think that the Cube did not have many games. On top of Nintendo's busniess deals with other companies. Most companies did not want to make games for the Cube. Same will and can go for Sony. Anybody forget about Smackdown being canned!

From a business standpoint it was a good idea, but from a consumer it totally sucks. Sony has just made mistake or wrong choices in the past year or so. Looks like they are going the rout Nintendo went when they lost ground with the 64. And you know what thats what they get for thinking that they could not be taken down for they were all mighty. Now the 360 holds great threat, and Nintendo holds the key to change what dose Snoy hold, Nothing not a damn thing new, nothing great and weight behind the system but the name PlayStation

I don't think it's alienating developers as much as it is making themselves less attractive. If you're a major gaming company and you have the option of making something exclusively for a particular console or investing in the variations you'll have to include for different platforms there are some considerations. The cost of an exclusive system is obviously less on the front-end and you just have to pay one piper and if you are going to make mad profit by just making it for a single system, that's the way to go. On the other hand, you can invest the extra time and money in making it multi-platform and pay Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. You'll be willing to do this because you know that it'll cost more up front, but it will absolutely make more profit.

You're right, Spuds. It is alienating the smaller publishers. If your company can only afford one platform, you need to really look at which will net you the most money.

I like to think of myself as a reasonable person. I also like to believe in people doing the right thing. in many ways, believe it or not, I'm an optimist. But not anymore! SONY HAS FORCED LIK-SANG TO CLOSE DOWN. For those of you who have absolutely no knowledge of anything important. Lik-Sang is an import site based in Hong Kong, who ships games from Asia to Europe and North America. Whenever there's a big DS game that comes out in Japan that gets imported here, in all likelihood, it was bought at Lik Sang. But, because they were planning on selling Japanese PS3s in Europe, SCEE sued them into the ground.

So yeah, I hate Sony.

Sony hates you too