I don't understand women.

You guys are really funny. I'm super surprised this thread is still on topic. Well anyway , I am alive, my finger just smells like a regular ol' finger (much to my dismay), I'm a long way from Vegas, and she is a woman.

I swear this chick is harder to read than Chaucer. So . . . here's what happened. First off, she's really in to poetry, she emailed me some of her work and it was insanely good (way better than anything I write). So that's why I was thinking about going to a place where they read poetry.

Anyway, back to Sunday, it takes her forever to get ready, so right away I'm getting a little nervous. She did have to go back home after work and get ready though so I ultimately chalked it up as nothing big to dwell on. I finally pick her up and we head off to a place to eat. While we're driving there she starts talking about how she couldn't go to some other places we considered because she just splurged on clothes. And I say to her that I was gonna pay though. Right away I realize that if she's thinking about paying for herself then there's a pretty good chance that I've totally misread this situation and this ain't no date.

When we get to the restaurant she says she's not really that hungry, but she'll eat since we're here. So I'm thinking to myself, "What in the hell is she talking about? I asked her out to eat, she says yes, and now she says she's not really hungry? What does that mean?!" I tell her that we could leave if she wants to. We can totally do something else. So she says how about a movie.

Now we're at the movies and we decide so see the Ricky Bobby movie. I pay for the tickets and she's like thanks. Then we go to the concession stand, I get a drink, she gets some cinnamon pretzel thing. And before I can even reach for my wallet she whips out a 10 faster than you can say let's just be friends. Now, I'm calling myself an idiot for thinking this was something that it clearly isn't. While we're doing our thing at the stand I see a tattoo on her arm. So I ask her how many tattoos she has. She has three, so she turns around so I can move her necklaces to see the one on the back of her neck. Then she pulls up her shirt so I can see the one on her stomach. Now I don't know how free people with tattoos are about showing them (maybe she does it all the time), but in my world a woman doesn't show a man her super fine stomach unless she wants this thing to go further. (I dated another girl with tattoos before and I only saw her "hidden" tattoo by accident.) Now I'm thinking to myself, "whoa she just pulled up her shirt for you!" So of course we talk about her tats. Then she shows me her stomach again! Most definitely in my world you don't show that much skin and not be interested in someone. I tell her about how at one point I wanted a MAV tattoo on the inside of my forearm. I tell her that I had the design all picked out because I went to an art school, and she seemed to like the fact that I'm an artist too.

So after the movie there's nothing to do really, because it's pretty late, so I take her home. When we get to her house we sit outside and talk for about an hour. During to conversation she asks me if I have kids, and she tells me she doesn't have any children incase I was wondering. Then we start talking about relationships and she tells me she just recently got out of a 5 year thing with some dude and she's not really sure where they are right now, and that they still talk every now and then. When I finally left I just said bye to her. I didn't try to give her a hand shake, hug, or kiss. I was confused enough.

Now let me just say I am horribly bad at reading women. I'm awful at just being decisive around women I like. I was 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th guessing myself all night long. If she just wants to be friends why ask me if I have kids or tell me she doesn't have any (why would that matter with friends)? Why talk with me for and hour after the date (or whatever it was) about some personal things if I'm just a friend? Why show me her stomach twice if I'm never gonna be able touch it? On the other side, if she does like me then why whip out that $10 at the movies in freakin' bullet time on my ass? Why agree to go somewhere and then change your mind?

What do I do? At work I get a sense that when we talk she's waiting for me to say something (like maybe ask her out again?), but the first one just twisted and fucked with my head so much that I don't know what to do. Then again I could be wrong about that too, Lord knows I've been wrong about everything else. I'm thinking since I came away from Sunday so unclear that I should just keep it friendly.

Huh. This is why I'm glad I skipped the whole dating thing. Girls are SO confusing.

Ok, Mav, you are looking at the WORST person to receive relationship advice from. Nevertheless. You must decide a few things. Am I attracted to this chick enough to take things to any level above friends? If so, go for it. Ask her out on another date. If you are not so attracted, you can leave things as friends as see if she wants to do anything. However, if you are so attracted, I would not leave it to her to make the move. Be The Man I know you are. Take the risks the rest of us (ok, so probably just me) are too much the whiny little girl to take. Let me live vicariously through you and kurruption.

Let's see if I can help you out a little. You were a gentleman, and that's a plus for you. Now for the specifics: girls will go to restraunts and then not eat because they don't like to be seen as pigs. Also, if she was nervous, food might not have been a good thing. You've been considering her as knowing exactly what she's doing. I'm betting she doesn't and is as squirrely as you.

Next, you get to the movies and pay for her ticket, but she blitzes you when paying for the snack. No biggie. She is an independant woman and can take care of herself. Sometimes a guy paying for something makes girls feel helpless and that she "owes" the guy something. She could also be saying "slow down" if she felt things were going too fast. If it was starting to feel like a serious date, she might have needed to make it feel less of one.

Also, she showed you the tattoo for a reason. She likes you. She may just be teasing, but if she just got out of a 5 year relationship she is probably one that actually commits to a relationship and sticks with it as opposed to a flirty little ho. Girls will draw attention to their bodies if they WANT you to look. You don't try attracting "friends" if you want them to just be friends.

Her asking about children and relaying her side of things is a good thing. She's sizing you up for long-term material and offering up more stats about her to show her eligibility. Many people have issues with dating moms. She was showing you that that isn't one of her issues. And not trying to go in for the kiss at the end might work in your favor as far as keeping it slow.

She's poetic and likes artists? (As a fellow artist, rock on!) Then she'll go for more of the "romantic" things: poetry readings, coffee shops, art shows/galleries. She IS waiting for you to ask her out again, but have a specific event(s) in mind. This time will go smoother. Keep it simple and if you get the feeling she wants it slow at the end of the night, sweep her hand up and kiss her hand. Then smile your most charming smile and spin off into the night. Don't look back. Never look back. Unless she calls your name. Then go back and lay one on her steamy enough to knock the wrinkles out of corduroy. Then walk away again.

Darth_Jonas said:
Then smile your most charming smile and spin off into the night. Don't look back. Never look back. Unless she calls your name. Then go back and lay one on her steamy enough to knock the wrinkles out of corduroy. Then walk away again.

That has badass written all over it. BE A BADASS MAV.

Mav,

What a date, was it a date ? I'm not going to going to ponder on this and just give you some advice on life now: All females are crazy, all of them, some more than others, you just have to shop around and find one at a level of craziness you can handle...

Or plan B: Start hanging out with some of your friend's moms, the older gals only have one thing on their minds and it will save you a bunch of money on dinners, movies, and flowers...

Good luck Bro...

Peace,