• $250 or more

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Final Fantasy sucks

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

BCampbell

Staff Member
Registered
This is probably one of the biggest discussions going on in the gaming world right now. How much with the Revolution cost at launch? We know they're not using the newest, state of the art hardware, so it won't be in the $400 range of the 360. But we don't really know exactly what the target is. Some people are throwing around figures as low as $150.

I personally think it will be $179.99 with a game. Probably a new Mario game, Super Smash Brothers, or something like that. I don't think it will be over $199, but I don't think it will be as low as $150.

I think you're right around there, BC. Nintendo already said that it will cost less than the 360 core, meaning it'll be under 300, at least. But I think if they expect to really get a lot of units out the door, they're going to need big games, as well as a low price. SSBR is supposed to be a launch title, and since that is one of the best multiplayer games of all time, and is probably going to be a consistently kajillion seller, which will probably do the trick. But this'll mean nothing if they can't keep the price low enough to make the gap jaw-droppingly notable. So it'd definitely need to be 200 and under. I think that 149.99 is kinda low (though, I'd love for it to be that cheap), so I think 179.99 is just about right.

However, how much do you figure the controller will cost? And will the shell be included with the remote and the nunchaku stick? Cuz if those cost too much, that may be a deterent for the most stingy of gamers (like me).

And ok, there are only 4 of us on. How could it already have 6 votes with 4 as "FF Sucks"?

I would guess they'll give full functionality from the start, so at least one controller that can actually be used as the basic setup (shell or whatever they're gonna do) will be included. Maybe a slightly more expensive bundle that includes additional attachments and/or a second controller for multiplayer games will be offered too.

One thing we learned during the PS1's reign was that if a peripheral wasn't included with the system, there's a good chance it'll fail (unless it's a light gun). Developers don't want to develop for hardware that hey don't even know the consumer will have, which is why so few PS1 games actually used things like the multitap, especially later in the product cycle. Games that have one-off special peripherals for only that game (or one or two games) just don't sell too well (Steel Battallion, Samba de Amigo, DK Jungle Beat). So there's the possibility that if the Revolution's controller options don't get a strong start and an established user base, later developers won't want to develop games that use them (and it gets pretty expensive to keep bundling a peripheral with your games, and marketing two versions, one with and one without).

Some recent events seem to have bucked this trend; the constant stream of DDR games and clones made dance pads popular peripherals to program for, and newer games like Guitar Hero with dedicated controllers have been pretty popular. This might be a consumer reaction to the apprent lack of creativity in the market, the low point of which was 2004 when it seemed like every game was just another sequel.

And, apparently, Final Fantasy really sucks, I guess.

Well, I'd say the current popularity of DDRs and Guitar Hero is a trend-like increase in popularity of musical games. I think that the sudden flood of Guitar Heroes, the Pump it Ups, the DK Jungle Beats, the Karaoke Revolutions and such will drop off eventually and leave DDR as the undisputed champ of music/rhythm games. Not that there was much of a competition.

The pricing sounds right, BC. They have said they are taking a different approach. If they can snag a bigger bite of the market, then they can release a higher-end system in a few years. I think that the 360 is pretty safe, but if the PS3 is too expensive and only serious gamers get them, then Sony has left a soft underbelly vulnerable. And Nintendo will strike.

I heard someone suggest that Nintendo may have a lot of success as a second console, especially if the price is right. Many gamers will get either the 360 OR the PS3, but a large majority of both will also purchase the Revolution. Then there are the bizarre hardcores like me who will probably only purchase the Revolution.

I like the price suggestions already listed, though funds for a Revolution have already been secured. My boss presented me and my coworker with Best Buy gift cards with a nice balance on them. I believe there is no expiration date. I now cannot wait for the Revolution. I just hope the Metroid game isn't too far off.

Ok very brief divergence from Nintendo stuff. I have an iPod mini. iPods are very cool. I listen to mine at the gym and in the car mainly. But it is very cool to have so many songs in one place and with extremely easy access. If you enjoy listening to music in a variety of settings, I would put an iPod on your list of purchases. However, make sure you don't get caught not fully understanding all of the features. Zack recently posted a journal entry about how he was disappointed with the iPod because it did not have the features he thought it did.

So, tough decision my friend. However, by the time the Revolution actually comes out, which is never, we shall all be stinking millionaires, and money won't be an issue.

Yeah the fact that the 1GB nano is $150 makes me think of buying one, even though I really really didn't want one before. I just want it for listening to music, I don't care about other crap. We'll see, I'm still on the fences; that's $150 that can go toward a PS3 or something. I'm thinking about putting together a new PC too.

You could always hold out for either the iPod to drop in price? Or for the PS3/Revo to actually come out, then make your decision? Though....will the iPod actually go down in price anytime soon?

OMG final fantasy does NOT suck! Crazy peeps
I wish it still was on nintendo consoles then I wouldn't be in a pickle, its not like I'm gonna buy both N gen consoles... But zelda... ahh desicions, FF is more moving but Zelda is more "ahhh, i remember that", toughie. I didnt actually like any of the FF games actually on nintendo though - so confussling it is.
actually I wasnt sure whether FF12 was released on PS2 or 3 but there arent enough FF's per consoles

Sorry, off FF now, since the poll was is in dollars I sorta guessed but I would say around £170ish, although actually it should techinically be more than the Cube what with inflation and its higher technology.

spudlyff8fan said:
Well, I'd say the current popularity of DDRs and Guitar Hero is a trend-like increase in popularity of musical games. I think that the sudden flood of Guitar Heroes, the Pump it Ups, the DK Jungle Beats, the Karaoke Revolutions and such will drop off eventually and leave DDR as the undisputed champ of music/rhythm games. Not that there was much of a competition.

i'd say DDR is too time consuming and break easily
althoguh singstar does too its easy to hide the mics away and there is no need to unplug them everytime you need something else
plus the way DDR works meant (mine at least) legs got full of lactic acid and tired before I wanted to stop and wasnt worth the bother though of cpurse practice would increase this
yet, singstar can be bad too
guitar thingymoboby looks fun tho learning guitar for real has gotta be better
:bert: my good friend Bert, you were buried under sand in friends the other day, the clip may be deleted from my returned DRV but you remain in my heart and on my phone forever (or till mem filled ---> delete!)

ipods

spudlyff8fan said:
You could always hold out for either the iPod to drop in price? Or for the PS3/Revo to actually come out, then make your decision? Though....will the iPod actually go down in price anytime soon?

i dont think ipods go down in price
their clever plan is that they just release more and more and cease productions of the old version.. i don't know why that is clever actually - i read somewhere there was some pupose for it, i guess it just means they don't even sell things cheap and that they get profits, people will buy them
i think one is sold every second, or minute... damn i forget which

i want a 4 gig nano for £180 although i might get the zen photo... it dends whether i want pics, screen and storage or light around the neck access to pretty music