Hooked on Dofus

that sounds pretty good. you know what man...i heard a commercial for sam adams oktoberfest beer on the radio one morning. and at first i thought "yuck, sam adams oktoberfest...that's american beer for a german event!" and then the commercial was so effective that i never wanted a beer so bad at 7 in the morning before.

friday night of that week, i bought some. it was excellent. i recommend it.

Okay, so now my character is a level 23 summoner and 28 Fisherman. I spend most of my playing time fishing while I check forums so I can get to level 30 and become a fishmonger and actually do something with my fish. See, you can't do anything besides gut and sell your fish if you're just a fisherman. Thankfully, you can hold three jobs, which is good because according to our president that's "uniquely American".

GhostToast said:
what the hell do you do with your fish after you become a fish "monger". that sounds like maybe i dont even want to know..

Fishmonger: n. someone who sells fish

Fishermen can catch and clean fish, but only fishmongers can cook them, and the cooked fish can be used to regain HP (and, in the case of rare fish, add stat points).

But now that I've spent some time levelling up the jobs, I think I have to level up my character. There are some spells I really want.

Okay, so now my character is level 30, so he's getting slightly badass. I did a dungeon quest and got a pet, it's this little cat thing, pretty cute. I'm now a level 33 fisherman and in the teens on fishmongering, so I can make slightly more complicated fish recipes. I've been able to sell the fish I make for a decent profit, so I actually have some money now, but I have no idea what to spend it on.

The early parts of thegame included extremely fast levelling -- you can literally jump to level 20 in a few hours. But after that, and especially around level 30, levelling starts to slow down, and now it takes an hour or so to gain a level. That's still a hell of a lot faster than some other MMORPG's though.

You can sell fish to NPC's, but it's much more profitable to sell to PC's.

I guess I never explained the merchant system.

When you log off, you can set up your "shop" in the physical location you're standing at. So, the game world is divided into hundreds of small "map" locations, and up to six merchants can be on any one map. To set up shop you just select the items you want to put up for sale and how much you wantto sell them for.

Maybe this is similar to other MMORPG's, I don't know.

This creates a very living and thriving economy. Since some maps have points of interest -- like the places where people craft items -- there's an advantage to setting up shop with certain items in certain places. You can charge a lot more for leather if you're outside the shoemaker hut than if you're inthe middle of nowhere. You can also check the merchants in bad areas for items they're selling cheap, buy them, and sell them for a profit elsewhere.

So, since the fish I make is a healing item, I tend to either set up shop outside of the fishmonger hut -- where people go and expect fishmongers to sell fish -- or areas where lost of people fight tough battles.