Great games on the PS1 that never made it to other console generations

clunky

Registered
Nov 15, 2014
The Playstation 1 was a treasure trove of awesome games. There was the Final Fantasy series, the Resident Evil series, Metal Gear Solid, Tenchu, Xenogears, GTA, and other classics. A lot of these great games made it to other console generations (Ps2 and PS3). However, there are also some games that never made it past the PS1. Like Destrega for instance. It was a very unique fighting game that was fast paced and fun. The game featured DragonBall worthy fights. Another was Rival Schools. It was developed by Capcom and was a tag team versus game which featured interesting characters with different story lines. It was a cross between Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom and it was awesome. How I wished that these games would also come out on the other Playstation consoles.

They never did.

Legend of Dragoon Comes to Mind. Azure Dreams was another one. There may have been repackaged remakes of those games, I can't recall. However, there have been no true sequels that I am aware of.

Xenogears technically went on to PS2 in the form of Xenosaga, which was its spiritual successor by the same creators, based in the same universe. It's a real shame that Legend of Dragoon never continued since it was a really good game.

Rival Schools and Kagero would be my picks although technically both of those made it onto the PS2. However, I do wish they would have continued on because they are great games but for some reason they just never got popular enough to warrant more sequels, which is a shame because they were very unique and instead now we get about 50 different FPS titles.

If have to choose one, I say Klonoa. I loved that cute like rabbit/dog thing. (Still to this day, I don't know which one he is!) The game was great for it's time! It's use of 2.5 D was great and the puzzles made you think! I was just about 10 or so, I think when I first played that game. Loved it then and I think I would still love it to this day. Time to add another game to the list!

Tenchu 2 is still probably the best one in the series and I don't think it's had any ports.

Pepsiman. It was a ridiculously hard arcade type of game. You played as Pepsiman, Pepsi's mascot back then (he even had his own commercials). My friends and I loved that game, and we still play it, there's a really funky and goofy style to it. I'm not saying it NEEDED a sequel, but a remaster would've been nice.

I guess it just wasn't that popular...