Grandia 3

daiconv

animator
Registered
Aug 6, 2005
chemical plant zone
This game will be a system seller for me(along with the new tales game). I'm a big fan of grandia 2. I've never played grandia xtreme though (a lot of people said it sucks). and I'm in love with the battle system.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/grandia3/
pretty cool website.

I've never played the original grandia either, is that one as good as the second one?

Yeah I wasn't too into Xtreme. I still have my orginal Grandia and my grandia II for dreamcast...need to buy a new dreamcast someday.

wow, i just saw a trailer for grandia 3 on g4 last night. The stills don't do it justice. The production quality looks very high. I heard a rumor that it might not come to the states though. if that happens I'll hang myself. :tragedy:

This is a RPG right? I'm not into RPGs, especially traditional ones. I've never understood why no one seems to mind the turn based battle scheme of traditional RPGs. Everyone takes a turn to hit each other?! To me thats total bull$#!% I can't begin to figure out why someone thought that battle system was a good idea. Unless they had to do that back in the day because a real fighting system took would take up too much memory or something.

Last edited:
you've obviously never played grandia before. yeah grandia is an rpg with a sweet battle system. you probably wouldn't like it though. grandia is turn based (or active time battle if you wanna get specific) but you can sorta move freely around during battle. The whole idea behind turn based shit is strategy and planning your next move. saying you don't like rpg's because they're turn based is like saying you don't like chess because it's turn based.

if you want the rpg experience without taking turns and shit, i recomend star ocean: until the end of time and tales of symphonia. you can just move freely and attack at will in those games.

daiconv said:
saying you don't like rpg's because they're turn based is like saying you don't like chess because it's turn based.

I totally disagree. Chess is a boardgame based on taking turns. In chess you're not fighting with swords and magic, et cetera. In a videogame if I'm in a battle I want it to feel like a battle. I don't want to attack someone and then walk back to my space and then let them get a free hit on me. I don't see the correlation between fights in videogame RPGs and a game as intellectually challenging as chess. But to each, his own I guess.

Last edited:
Like i said before, you've obviously never played grandia because the correlation to chess is there. I'm sure the people that have played a grandia game before know what I'm talking about.

what makes grandia's battle system so sweet (imo anyway) is that there's this meter where you can anticipate enemy moves, which is where the strategy comes into play, especially when you have multiple enemies. your turn comes up and you have to make a decision, you can cancel your enemy's attack before they attack you, you can move to evade the attack (if it's not a spell), or you can do a combo or spell or use an item. I don't know, you'd probably have to watch somebody play to get the idea

plus, weren't rpgs originally board games played with pen and paper with 5 sided dice and shit.

Maverick said:
I don't see the correlation between fights in videogame RPGs and a game as intellectually challenging as chess. But to each, his own I guess.

I am using monster as the defult word for all enemies. :soapbox:

Most RPG's are tatical. Because some monsters have weakness' to certain magic, and some are strong against physical attacks. Some can only be attacked by long range characters.

It is more knowing your enemy and what works best. On some easier monster yes you just stand and attack.

There is more to an RPG then just standing there. Unlike most hack em, slash em's which are in my opinion brainless.

Not all RPG are turn based but it is the perfer method by most companies.

I think FF X-2's battle system was wonderful and really sped things up more. It was done in active time rather then wait(this means that the monsters still attacked while you were figuring out your moves).

Grandias was always good. I think that is where Enix Square finally got their ideas for their later RPGs.

Chess is a tatical game by knowing and anticipating your opponats moves. RPGs are similar in the fact you must not only look at the next immediate attack but what the monster might do when less then half their life points are left.

No it isn't really realistic. But it is a videogame. If you want real life....play a FPS. The games are more about story and characters then the random battles.

No, I've never played Grandia, but I can see what you guys are saying. And I understand that the game has strategy involved, but so do a lot of other games (sports, racing, fighting, action, adventure, etc.) and I wouldn't necessarily compare them to chess. But like I said, I see what you're saying.

And I didn't agree with Daiconv when he said, "saying you don't like rpg's because they're turn based is like saying you don't like chess because it's turn based" because to me thats like if I didn't like driving missions in FPSs (which are common place in the genre), someone would say, "well if you don't like diving missions in FPSs you must not like driving in real life". I just don't think thats a fair conclusion to make.

Last edited: