Games added to the forums

Huddy

Registered
Jun 23, 2005
The Boiler Room
Yay, or Nay?

What are your thoughts on every game we add to the database, being auto-added in it's appropriate forum? For instance, when we add Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, it's also auto-threaded in the PS2 forum. Soo, there's hundreds of threads already in those forums, but does it make it hard to find anything in particular, or even keep a regular conversational thread up in that forum? Do tell!

I hate it, its annoying. I don't check any of the other forums because they all seem to be threads like that.

I think its stupid personally, because if people want to talk about it they will make their own threads, and thats how it works..

We dont have enough people here to support real discussion anyway, and having hundreds of preset threads bombarding a forum that is supposed to be in control by the users will discourage people from making use of the forums.

I agree...

Even if there are games I want to comment on...like the Sims 2 I have to sort through pages and pages to find it.

I think if people want to talk about a game they'll make their own post (like was previously mentioned)

Lynn

Once most games are added it will not be as bad.. Also "How would I find the thread about the game" when you go to the game, you can click on "Discuss this game in our forums" and it will bring you right to the thread..

So for example I post something on the Sims 2 thread. I don't check it for a few days or forget that I post it, I'm not going to remember to go and search for the game. If I sort through all the posts on the PC thread and if you've added 50 games since then it's definitely not on the first few pages and I get frustrated and leave, giving up on ever finding that thread again.

Can you add posts to a "watch this post" like you do tracking the games? Or maybe I should just track the game to keep up with the thread? too many options..have to get use to them all :)

Lynn

Reply to: Lylabean:

Can you add posts to a "watch this post" like you do tracking the games?

I think thats a cool idea. I seen that on reefcentral.com or maybe it did it automatically when i posted on a particular thread. it would then notify me, on my "my reefcentral" page (PMs and such are kept there as well) that someone posted a new message to the thread i was 'subscribed' to.

It is a bit overwhelming visually...but I think with time we would get used to it...if it's seen as advantageous.

I think it's an okay idea. The thing that worries me though, is with only 50 or so forum members, are we generating too many threads without having the community to occupy them?? I think at this stage of MyGamers development, it might be counter-productive to give the reader an impression of dead threads, board wide....

I know, but these topics are not a good idea, often times there are specific issues that people need to make threads about, so if you have say, Everquest the official thread... unless the people are going to waste their time by putting a big question post somewhere in a potentially thick thread, and a potentially thick forum of threads.

Let people post what they have to say... right now its immaterial because only like 50 people actually come to our site for our content, if even that.

Not exactly

Actually Jas, that's an untrue statement. What you see, is that 50+ people have actually registered. There are many others visiting the site. We currently give no good reason for those who visit to register, though we're hoping to change that soon. I know I, for one, don't go and register or forum hop on any sites I visit, besides this one. With no legitimate reason to do so, you'll probably never see those numbers climb all that much. But with a little enticement..........

i also think that adding games automatically is kind of a hassle. but i understand that things are still in the works.