Game recorder apps

FreddyMac

quackquackquack
Registered
Sep 20, 2015
plays.tv
I've been starting to record my gameplay, dunno if I'll ever upload, I'm not amazing or anything, but I'm looking for a better game recorder.

Currently, I'm using MSI Aterburner's Predator module, its built into the latest versions. It lets you record to RAM and save the past gameplay with a hotkey. The trouble is, it's buggy, and has either recorded gigabytes more than I allow it, or it straight up fails.

Plays.tv is another I've tried, and its cool because it integrates a video editor and social network. But, it forces you to have an updated version at all times, and I've got slow internet. Sometimes I'm playing online, and I have to update it first. Not ideal.

Any other recommendations? I'm on AMD, so Shadowplay isn't an option.

I'd have recommended you Shadowplay, but you're on AMD. I suggest you to just block Plays.tv from accessing the internet with a firewall and unblock it when you want to update (if it works offline). Otherwise, you could try Bandicam. It's paid, but my brother likes it. There's a trial version too if you want to give it a shot.

Yeah, I'm now having an issue with Plays.tv's uploader. I recorded some great stuff with MSI, but plays.tv has major issues with the codecs I guess. The thing is, the only way to upload to them is to use the app, and I like the network so...:(

Bandicam is popular, but the watermark trial is a dealbreaker. I'm not pro, I'm not paying for a recorder quite yet.

Also, if you do end up trying plays.tv, don't use the Optimise quality for upload. It massively reduces your quality and fuzzes up the progress bar.

Last edited:
I use LoiLo Game recorder for my games. It's nothing fancy, but it's free and it gets the job done. It comes with a trial for a video editor, but the editor is not that great.

Have you tried OBS? I used to use xSplit for when I was doing a gaming livestream on a regular basis, but I find that Open Broadcaster Software (OBS for short) is much more reliable and doesn't have a license fee attached, as it's open source. Plus you can livestream and record locally to .MP4 format at the same time - Very useful for editing highlights offline :)

Was having issues with plays.tv (tried to upload content I recorded with MSI, codec issues and broken files), but managed to fix that, had to convert to h.264 files and it was happy. Check out my humble channel at plays.tv/u/boTod. End of self promotion, haha

LoiLo Game recorder
I'm avoiding LioLo TBH, it looks like it's Chinese adware. Not saying it doesn't work, but their site just doesn't make it look good. Does it record to RAM or straight to file? Recording to RAM is kind of a dealbreaker right now.

@Antares, I actually have, but just couldn't get along with it. It seems really powerful, but it isn't too friendly right outta the box. The profiles and scenes thing really clunks up the experience. If I were streaming, I hear its the first choice though.

Last edited:
I can't recommend OBS enough, its free, very easy to use, with plenty of tutorials on Youtube to help you with all common problems, and it also is calibrated to make it very easy to use to stream, if thats what you want to do. I commonly use it to record my screen and then any editing I want to do I just use VSDC, which is also free. They're both free and very simple to use.

Wow!

I only found this last night, I used it to convert the videos I mentioned in my previous post.

It really is awesome, super lightweight.

Yes, it was my golden find of the year in terms of free software. OBS and VSDC are two of the three essentials. I might as well mention the third one as well, which is Audacity to clean up your sound files as well, its also free and very easy to use. I particularly like the fact that all of these free products have so many tutorials online in order to get the beginner started. OBS in particular do seem to be putting a lot of effort into compatibility with Twitch TV and definitely are looking to become the number one screen-recording software as used by professionals and amateurs alike.