freedom of speech vs. Islam

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/02/02/cartoons.wrap/index.html

Here's the URL of an article on CNN. The issue is a cartoon of Mohammed and how tore up the Muslims in Europe and the Mid-East are about it. Personally, I think that if the holy prophet can say that all infidels (anyone who isn't a Muslim) should die, that any infidel is free to make fun of him.

Besides, isn't it fair? Kanye West is depicted on Time magazine (I think it's Time) with a crown of thorns and a cross. Do I like it? No. Am I dressing in a mask and pointing machine guns at people? How about Buddha, Shiva, Lucifer, or John Madden?

What are your thoughts on this?

I think they're right in their outrage over this. Granted, this isn't something to start a war and start suicide bombings over (though they will), but I'd probably be offended by it if I were a Muslim.

the offense is completely understandable, but I think it is unbalanced with the things (as a generality) that are said and done in the other direction.

Another thing to note is that one of the guiding principles of Islam is that there are to be no actual drawings or depictions of Mohammed of any kind (basically to prevent idolatry). The nature of the offense isn't merely the content, but the actual delivery of it in which the Prophet Mohammed is actually drawn. Even if this were a respectful painting or sketch of Mohammed it would still be offensive to practicing Muslims.

Still, belief in free expression means that, despite the fact the Muslim world has a right to their opinion, the European papers have a right to publish these pictures. Personally, I don't find many of the cartoons amusing or even entirely accurate. But, hey, I feel that way about Mallard Fillmore too.

I'm actually glad that it happened to Europe first. I know this is bound to happen here in the US, but for someone else to draw the heat is a relief to me.

It is inevitable that this only get worse.

There are two sides to this. I think Scribe pretty much hit it on thehead; the press should be free to publish anything they want within only very narrow limits (libel, inciting a riot, etc). However, they also have to understand journalistic integrity and the consequences of their actions. Because of the way Muslims view mohammed, I find it very difficult to come up with a comparison to the Christian faith... there just isn't really anything quite as sacreligous that the media could do.

Even the idea of insulting a religion within the context of the cartoon goes a little over the edge. That would be akin to a cartoon Jesus as a crusader, hacking apart non-Christians. You know how up in arms people would get over something like that? Now combine it with something that directly goes against the beliefs of the religion and you're getting close.

Hell, remember when Sinead O'Connor tore up the picture of the Pope? Even that caused quite a bit of outrage and she was forecd to apologize for it.

That said, I don't think a press agency should be forbidden from running something like this. They should, however, understand how bigoted and callous running it is, and they would deserve to be made a mockery of if they did run it.

Also, we have seen in the past few months and years that European countries SUCK at handling Muslims. Thank you, Jacques.

yeah, Europe's relations with their own Muslim populations and neighbors has always sucked, and even more so lately.

I think America has much better relations with our Islamic citizens. I guess we are either enured to the media slander, callous enough to no longer care, or have some idea of respect towards each other's beliefs. I think it is more of the first two than the latter. Our parents lived through the race riots, and I think the current generation just doesn't care any more "you do your thing, I'll do mine" syndrome.

I've never understood this freedom of speech thing. It seems like people/publications do these kinds of things out of some feeling of hate or revenge or whatever and then hide behind freedom of speech. If you know a freaking cartoon is going to piss people off, don't do it. Period. If you don't like the melding pot that is America, don't join the KKK, just get the hell out. If you're unhappy with America don't burn flags, or riot, and offend the people you're trying to reach/change/enlighten, organize a peaceful protest. It just seems to me that freedom of speech is taken to extremes and often overrides common sense.

I guess this is more of a mini-rant.

I guess the question is: where is the line? I do agree with you Mav. I get sick of whiners and over-the-top protests or demonstrations (especially because they can quickly turn into angry mobs). I'm still waiting for all the celebrities who said they would leave the country if Bush won a second term to leave.

Indeed. Actors and singers really just aren't smart enough to consider themselves really noteworthy enough to comment on politics or anything because they aren't newscasters, they aren't political analysists, they're SINGERS. But the problem with poking at Allah is that the mobs in the middle east starts out angry and then starts exploding.

I just checked out the news wires this morning. It has gotten worse. Flag burnings and riots, machine guns and an editor getting fired.

spudlyff8fan said:
Indeed. Actors and singers really just aren't smart enough to consider themselves really noteworthy enough to comment on politics or anything because they aren't newscasters, they aren't political analysists, they're SINGERS. But the problem with poking at Allah is that the mobs in the middle east starts out angry and then starts exploding.

Couldn't agree more. I'm relatively sick and tired of these functioning idiots (Tom Cruise, Kristin Dunst, ect.) using movie interviews and their fame to weigh in on politics. They are actors and singers. They are famous for looking good. Nobody respects their opinions on world matters. Think of the raging shit this country would be in if we let Tom Cruise or Bono run things.

Well, Cruise would cut all funding for medicare/aid because we all just need to meditate on our belly buttons. There's no such thing as chemically unbalanced so no medicine for that either.

I think it can all be summed up by the few scenes in Team America when the Film Actors Guild is talking about how they participate in politics.

Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.