Final Fantasy Tactics

AFKATafcar

Registered
Dec 1, 2014
Seattle, WA
Final Fantasy Tactics was a turn-based RPG available on the Playstation console. The combat was fun, the graphics were decent, and the story was pretty strong. It spawned three or four additional, semi-related games on other consoles. I put a few dozen hours into the game as a kid, and it was one of my favorite games then (and now actually). Did anyone play this title way back when?

I did! I played this first when it was a playstation game and when I bought a PSP, I played the War of the Lions version as well.

I love tactical role-playing games and I love the job system from Final Fantasy. I would have loved this even if the plot was flimsy. It wasn't though; it was excellent and within the many worlds of the Final Fantasy games, the world of Ivalice is my favourite. I love Tactics, I love Vagrant Story and I love FFXII.

During the playstation playthrough, I also really appreciated the bonus Cloud and alter!Aerith because I had just finished the first disc of FFVII when I started playing this. And given that it was early 1998, I hadn't been spoiled yet for what the end of disc one would entail and went into it completely blind.

I remember playing it like crazy when I was younger and it just came out. I eventually got stuck at a part where I saved right before a battle started but I didn't grind my characters enough and I couldn't beat the battle without losing half of my party. I'd reset the game over and over again trying to beat that one part without losing any of my characters but I just couldn't do it and eventually I stopped playing the game all together... I probably have that save file on my old PS1 memory card if I checked.

I played the War of the Lions version as well.

Best version ever. Looks just as good as the PS1 version only updated with a ton of cool stuff. I have a copy but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. (Bought it on impulse because Gamestop stores here where going to discontinue the sale of PSP games)

Final Fantasy Tactics is actually my favourite Final Fantasy game!

I thoroughly enjoy this spin-off for its broader, more strategic, tactical game play during battle (hence the title).

And I moreover also appreciate the subversiveness with which it framed its story, as it was told from the perspective of the little known true history of past events as opposed to the official lie presented by the fictional realm's crown and church alike.

Final Fantasy Tactics: a truly great game, akin to combining some of the best elements of the main Final Fantasy series and WarCraft-style RTS games!