E3

Maverick

I'm A Pimp, Bitch
Registered
Jul 10, 2005
The Steel City
www.myspace.com
So what do you guys think of E3 this year? Has anything surprised you (good or bad)? Is any company leaping ahead of another based off of what you've seen so far? What do you think about the media confrences during pre-E3 (ie. the different strategies and focus points of the speeches/presentations from MS, Nintendo, & Sony)?

Only paid attention to the Nintendo one. I think their strategy was a good one. They are putting a lot of effort into marketing to the mainstream public, yet they're not abandoning the core gaming community. I think they've got the public pegged. Throw the core gamers enough bones to make them buy the console (no more bones than absolutely needed though, because N understands that most core gamers are going to have more than one console anyway), and give a lot of attention to the casual gamer and the neo-gamer (my name for the demographic that N is really trying to attract). The would-be Neo-Gamer demo is far larger than the Core group. Nintendo will ultimately sell more consoles (remember they're actually making money with each DS and Wii that is sold) and more software.

But they won't sell a tonne of software. I don't imagine N will drop the price on the Wii until the market forces them to.

I'm kinda disappointed thus far...mainly because there haven't been any real new games announced, and because a few bigger publishers didn't show up. But thus far, game-wise, I'd have to say the 360 is on top, solely because the trailers and demos they've shown off expand upon the trailers from last year. Like the badass chase thing from Assassin's Creed and the weird trailer for RE5.

I would've liked to have seen more future games from Microsoft instead of just this holiday season, but to be fair I am stoked about Q4 this year (so I guess they're focus worked). On one hand I'd like to see future titles from companies, but on the other it makes me upset when I find out I have to wait at least a year for the game to be finished.

Maybe there is something to be said for not showing too much. I do kind of get tired of hearing about Mass Effect, Too Human, Heavenly Sword, etc. For me, at some point, it's like stop with the trailers, comercials, and previews, and just give me the damn game already. I think I just flip flopped my argument from being disappointed in MS.

And for Sony, I think they had a good showing but why is everyone so caught up in the hype of Killzone 2? It feels like all these other journalists who were at E3 were seeing some other game entirely than what G4 was showing on TV. From what I've see the game looks to be very good (with all the over-the-top action), but definitely not the be all end all of FPSs. I may be the only one who feels this way, but the graphics (be it now or last year's video) do not in any way outshine other games that have yet to be released like, MGS4, CoD4, or even present playable games like Gears. And yet all I heard coming from a good amount of the G4 hosts after Sony's press conference was how spectacular Killzone looked. But in all fairness it does look better visually, than what little I've seen of Halo though.

Come, come. Sony did do a pretty good job showing off their own first party titles. Heavenly Sword and Killzone 2, in particular.

The PS3 had a pretty good showing.

Nothing really exciting, although I am posting very very late, Wii did pretty much have the only "new" items revealed, being that damn mat and the Wii version of the Super Scope. Lets be honest though, how many games will actually be made that you can use these parepherals with. The NES had a mat, and about two games to use it with. The light gun as well. The Snes had the Superscope, and about two games to play. The gamecube had the Bongo Drums and you could only play about two DK games. So I'm not sure how useful these new parepherals will be.

As far as game wise, everything I pretty much knew about already, nothing truly new. Nothing truly mindboggling, Assasins Creed we heard about, Mass Effect has been passed around like a two dollar whore, ang MGS 4 had a new trailer, a sweet one, but just that, no play demo or nothing. As far this E3 is concerned it was more like a "meh" to me.