Does anyone think the PSP is going anywhere?

Well, I could be technical about it I guess, but i think I'm going to go fanboy for you...... :)

About to get a web browser
About to get to play Grand Theft Auto
About to get Socom
About to get SSX
About to get Final Fantasy
About to get Gran Turismo

The Madden pics look great for PSP
The hacking mods
The graphics are twice as good as DS
UMD Movies are coming out like crazy (if you're in to that)

I'm sure I'm missing quite a bit, but for me....I think the PSP is doing just fine.

AmericanRitual said:
About to get a web browser
About to get to play Grand Theft Auto
About to get Socom
About to get SSX
About to get Final Fantasy
About to get Gran Turismo

It's really interesting because Sony's goal seems to be to take all of the games that were successful on their consoles and move them to their portable. That's greta, but we've already played all of these games. Just because I can play them on the subway doesn't mean I really want to play them again.

Nintendo is going in exactly the opposute direction; they added some brand new functionality to their handheld, so even franchise games feel new.

It's going to be interesting to see which marketing approach is better, or if both do well.

I will be honest I am not a Handheld person, but I with BCambell on this one. I bought a Gameboy Color just to play Pokemon, cause pokemon was one of the only original games on gameboy and I could not play it anywhere else. If the PSP is only comming out with stuff I can get on other/better consoles and hardware, why should I buy it on PSP?

BCampbell said:
It's really interesting because Sony's goal seems to be to take all of the games that were successful on their consoles and move them to their portable. That's greta, but we've already played all of these games. Just because I can play them on the subway doesn't mean I really want to play them again.

Nintendo has tons of remakes though. Sony is just now remaking some old games. Nintendo has remade Metriod (twice), Star Fox (once or twice, I forget), Mario (their advanced series), Nintendo Classic Series (some of which had new remakes of their own, and a bunch others.

And by the way, Sony's web browser sucks. Don't ever use it.

Just depends on your tastes, however, to say that Nintendo is going the opposite direction than Sony is silly when it comes to porting games.

If you're set on playing Nintendo games, buy DS. Not sure what you're asking for if you already are set on Nintendo. Both port just as much.

The point is, the games listed for PSP are practically the same exact games that have been released on consoles. The DS not only does have many more oirginal games than the PSP, but even those that are ported have additional functionality because of the DS's design. I see no reason to play GT3 on the PSP, but Super Mario DS is actually a much better game than Super Mario 64 and is worth playing even if you've played the original.

Neither handheld has come out with anything close to a "buy it for this" game. Kirby was fun, but like the review says, hella short. Proabably when the full Metroid comes out, or Mario Kart....if not.....there's always Zelda.....those are always good.

Again, you're turning this into a fanboy contest. It's not that hard to decide whether or not the PSP is for you. If you play Nintendo more than Playstation, by the DS. Real simple.

If you play Sony more than Nintendo, buy the PSP. My personal tastes are w/Sony.

How was I turning it into a fanboy contest? I'm just sayinh that the DS won't really have anything worth picking up until later in its life. The DS is starting a lot like the GBA did, except it doesn't have a Golden Sun yet.

If you don't have a handheld at all, you flat out have to pick up the GBA though. There are lots of classic RPGs that have been released on it. But you may just want to buy a Gameboy Player for it, if potability isn't too big for you.

spudlyff8fan said:
How was I turning it into a fanboy contest? I'm just sayinh that the DS won't really have anything worth picking up until later in its life. The DS is starting a lot like the GBA did, except it doesn't have a Golden Sun yet.

That wasn't directed at you Spudly.

The PSP will be great when it gets better games, which thankfully will be soon. I think the part of the PSP that will fade away is the movie playing aspect. People seem to like it for the movies, but I think eventually people won't care about the movies. What people really want are games, not crappy movies like RE2 and XXX. For me, I love watching DVDs on my big TV, and I already have a portable DVD player to use if I travel so it doesn't help me there either. I would never watch a movie on my PSP on the bus or something like that for fear of being robbed (like the people who get robbed for their i pods). But the biggest problem I have with the UMD movies are the price, IMO they should be closer to $10.