Does anyone still play their old DS consoles?

Victoria Langley

Registered
Mar 8, 2015
We were having a clear out the other week, we found an old SNES, gameboy and 2 DS consoles. Up until recently my dad used to still take his DS on holiday with him to play but the rest of us have moved onto playing on our tablets or phones.

I actually charged mine and I have been playing a few of my games, but I was really sad to find most of the boxes are empty and I have no idea where the game cartridges are.

I was really tempted to see if the old game boy or the SNES still loaded last night when I saw them sat on the desk, I can't say how long since either of them was started up.

Do any of you still play your DS consoles? Do you even still have them or did you sell them on etc?

I find it quite odd how we still have our old consoles but anything we have bought in the last few years have all been traded in when we have upgraded.

What was your favourite DS game? I have been hooked playing Diner Dash again!

I sold my DS, but I do have a 3DS. I don't currently have any DS games, but once I get a couple of more 3DS games that I want, I can see myself moving onto the plethora of DS games I want to play. Mario 64, Final Fantasy 1-3 and Metroid, among others. I didn't actually spend a lot of time with the DS when I had it.

I gave one away along with the games to a friend's kids. I kept the other since it's a special edition but I haven't touched it in 2 years. Haven't had the urge to do so honestly.

I still play on the DS. I actually prefer it to the 3DS. The 3D option is a bit much & really unnecessary in my opinion. The only reason I got the 3DS was because of the games that started to solely be available on that platform. Otherwise, if they would have been for either, I would have stuck with the DS.

Nope. I don't think it's necessary, when 3DS can play DS titles. :)

The Nintendo DS is my favorite handheld, mostly for it being one of the only. There are so many games I played and beat on it. my favorite game was the remake is Super Mario 64. My second was Pokemon platinum, the first game I've ever fully played and beat. It was a great game, and after the initial story there was an after story.
The Super Mario 64 remake was great for letting me replay a game. I was hoping Nintendo would make a sequel, and this was close enough.
Pokemon platinum was my first Pokemon game ever. I loved the story, all my friends had the game, and I battled with them. I beat the entire game, then messed around with cheats.
I have my old DS and I still play it. It was a great handheld and had fun games for the time.

I have a DSi. I've had it for...wow...almost five years now. And I STILL use it. I used to have trouble sleeping so I would just play in bed until it smacked me in the face. LOLOLOL

It's always been a great time-killer while waiting in line or at some lobby. Now I have a toddler so I dont use it as much (I try to sneak in some playtime once in a while) but once he's a little older I MAY let him use it once in a while.;)

We were having a clear out the other week, we found an old SNES, gameboy and 2 DS consoles. Up until recently my dad used to still take his DS on holiday with him to play but the rest of us have moved onto playing on our tablets or phones.

I actually charged mine and I have been playing a few of my games, but I was really sad to find most of the boxes are empty and I have no idea where the game cartridges are.

I was really tempted to see if the old game boy or the SNES still loaded last night when I saw them sat on the desk, I can't say how long since either of them was started up.

Do any of you still play your DS consoles? Do you even still have them or did you sell them on etc?

I find it quite odd how we still have our old consoles but anything we have bought in the last few years have all been traded in when we have upgraded.

What was your favourite DS game? I have been hooked playing Diner Dash again!

I've never had a Nintendo DS myself but we did buy my kids one about five years ago. Yes,they still play on it quite regularly and they still love it, even though they've also now got a PS3 and Android tablets and smartphones now.

I have a DSi. I've had it for...wow...almost five years now. And I STILL use it. I used to have trouble sleeping so I would just play in bed until it smacked me in the face. LOLOLOL

It's always been a great time-killer while waiting in line or at some lobby. Now I have a toddler so I dont use it as much (I try to sneak in some playtime once in a while) but once he's a little older I MAY let him use it once in a while.;)
If I were you, I would sve up some money for a 2DS for your toddler for when he is older, and until then you could use it. There are so many great games on there. The DSI was great but it doesn't have a console like experience. The 2DS can also play original DS games so you don't have to worry about that.
I'm saving up for the New 3DS. I don't own a 3DS but I want one so badly.
Also, I don't know what the difference is between the New 3DS and the original 3DS, but if it has to do with games and what is compatible I think the New 3DS is better in the long run. Have fun with that DS.

Reactions: thatnewmommy
Thanks for the tip! The 2DS does seem more rugged than the DSi and so it can probably take more hits. I do worry about the handheld itself. Mostly the screen. It doesn't fold up like the DSi does. Are covers available that cover up that screen?

Reactions: Rowan
I still have my old Nintendo DS that my father bought me back when I was 9 which was about 7 years ago. After cleaning my house for a little while, I found it in pretty good condition, except I think the screen gave out after not playing with it for a couple years. Not sure what the problem is exactly though. The battery seems to be working fine as the power light works and even charges, it's just the screen that doesn't turn on. Ah well, still have the games for it like Mario kart DS! Such a good game that I used to play for hours!

I sold my DS Lite to get a DSi years ago, but I recently got a 3DS so I haven't touched it in a while. I figure one of them will break or get lost eventually, so it's always nice to have a second way to play the games. I only have two 3DS games compared to about 40 DS games, and the two aren't much fun, so I might go back to my DSi eventually.

I was planning to buy an old DS lite off ebay for 60 bucks but I figured how to download the games on my Nexus tablet :p Emulators are the best and even saved me some money.

Thanks for the tip! The 2DS does seem more rugged than the DSi and so it can probably take more hits. I do worry about the handheld itself. Mostly the screen. It doesn't fold up like the DSi does. Are covers available that cover up that screen?
Oh don't worry about the screen. There are many options. If you don't like cases and but still don't want a messed up screen, you can find screen protectors. I'm guessing they aren't too expensive.
I'd check on Amazon first, then on eBay or you local store.
If you are still worried about the screen, I would buy a 3DS. They are cheaper now because they made a "New 3DS".
It's up to you on what to buy. I think buying a used 3DS is the best option.
Also you may need to buy a charger separately. I don't know what Nintendo did, but some handhelds don't have chargers. Not sure which ones.

I think my only real reason to keep playing my DS would be to use my Action Replay to get amazing Pokémon. It is hard if not impossible to trade them to new generation games, but it is still a lot of fun to be able to have any Pokémon you want. The Action Replay doesn't seem to be doing too well on the 3DS. I have not bothered to get one, yet.

Once in a while I'll break out my old DS and play for a little while, but I haven't in a long time, basically since I came to college. It's in storage somewhere at the moment. Maybe I'll have to break it out of the basement one of these days.

I think my only real reason to keep playing my DS would be to use my Action Replay to get amazing Pokémon. It is hard if not impossible to trade them to new generation games, but it is still a lot of fun to be able to have any Pokémon you want. The Action Replay doesn't seem to be doing too well on the 3DS. I have not bothered to get one, yet.
In my opinion, there is no point in playing the game if you do that. I understand if you beat the game and are just messing around but the way your doing it is cheating! In a new game, there is no fun in cheating. Most of the fun is getting the Pokemon yourself.
Rethink what you are doing. It's unfair.
It's still your choice though.

My favorite DS game was probably Digimon World: Dawn. Unfortunately, I do not still have my old Nintendo DS but this is not by way of upgrading to my phone or anything akin to that; a small child got a hold of it while I wasn't looking and snapped it in half a few years ago.

No, I traded my old DS in to get a 3DS since 3DS could play DS games and I still had a GBA SP to play GBA/GB games. Though I do kind of wished I kept it as it held up pretty good unlike my 3DS which is starting to show some wear on it.

I still have my old DS so I can play my old GBA games like Mega Man Battle Network or the older-gen Pokemon games. I think I still have my old GBA and SP somewhere as well. I might even still have my old Gameboy Color in my closet.