Do you think the next Nintendo system will keep the "Wii" name?

thepieeatingjay

Registered
Nov 6, 2014
Over the past few years, Nintendo has tried to cultivate the Wii brand. First with the Wii. Then with the successor, the Wii U. So after two system cycles, do you think Nintendo will continue with the Wii name or try to go a new route?

Reactions: pandabear1991
I would like to think they will try to do something else. How many more Wii things do we need to see. It is time to get creative and come back with a bang.

Personally I don't think so. I have a Wii and just dont find it that great. I don't own a Wii U but I have read and heard a lot of complaints about it. If they're smart, I think they need to go another route and create something new so they can generate new interest and keep raking in the $$$.

The Wii was a huge success for Nintendo. The Wii U, not so much. I doubt they will stick with the Wii name just because it doesn't have the same innovative, draw the crowds clout that it used to. They will most likely go in a new direction and try to come up with something different for the next console.

Don't really think so. There has to come a point where a change has to be in order. And although the Wii has giving them plenty of success. I feel they'd probably want to go past that and try something new completely, name of the console included.

I think a new name or design since the wii name has been around for along time and maybe time to make something new where it is a new brand and will make it enjoyable for fans. The new machine may have a different name, and play games with improved graphics which would be a thing where we could have newer controls and also it can be easy to play some games or do the puzzles at least. It will be interesting to see what the game developers make and also, what they decide to make and what they think will work for the game and what will not.

There is no reason not to. Yes, they have done horrible as far as numbers go, but it's not because of their brand name. People are not buying it because they know that there are not a lot of third party AAA games available for this game.

I hope not. The Wii U already sounds stupid, and it probably creates a lot of confusion, especially among older people who want to surprise their children for Christmas with the newest Nintendo console, but instead they buy an old Wii. I can definitely see them keeping the Wii brand alive, as it's quite a recognized brand, and giving it up would probably hurt their sales.

I think that Nintendo will create another system that is more innovative than the Wii. Something tells me that they are going to discontinue the Wii systems once the Wii U has done its' job.

The fact is that the Wii U is only now starting to produce dividends for Nintendo after proving a big failure out of the gate. The console is getting a better image compared to the PS4/Xbox One thanks to strong releases and a lack of major issues in said releases. However, I really don't see Nintendo releasing another gaming console. We're getting to the point where another Nintendo console makes less and less sense.

I think they're going to continue making consoles just with different names than Wii.

I strongly feel Nintendo will continue to set standards in the Gaming Industry. Another Wii though? I don't think so. However, I wouldn't mind if they just stuck with their original Nintendo name and added numbers and letters like every other console. The name really doesn't make a difference, its about how functional and accurate the console itself performs, not to mention durability and lifespan.

I would also like to add that I still do not have a dysfunctional Nintendo system, old school or new generation. I can't say the same for Xbox or PlayStation--therefore I will always look forward to Nintendo releases.

I kind of hope that they change the name to be honest. I've always felt sort of awkward saying Wii, especially when the console first came out years ago. Call it something else, something cooler!

It is awkward saying Wii. I have been in a situation a few times at work where friends and I would be talking about going to play the Wii at my house after work, and rumors soon sparked about friends coming to my house to smoke weed after work. I guess it had a lot to do with the fact that we worked in plant where you had to wear earplugs all the time (LOUD MACHINERY), so hearing the word Wii to someone who doesn't game and is eavesdropping sounds an awful lot like weed. Needless to say, the rumors were not pleasant and made work a bit uncomfortable.

There's no way they would. Makes no sense. If the Wii U were massively successful, I might throw a maybe in there but not this way. No. They need to revamp in name & console.

I believe they should do something new now. The Wii was very innovative when it first came out and is still enjoyable. However, it's time for them to focus on a more fitting system. Wii U sort of sticks out when compared with the other new gen systems and not in a good way.

It is awkward saying Wii. I have been in a situation a few times at work where friends and I would be talking about going to play the Wii at my house after work, and rumors soon sparked about friends coming to my house to smoke weed after work. I guess it had a lot to do with the fact that we worked in plant where you had to wear earplugs all the time (LOUD MACHINERY), so hearing the word Wii to someone who doesn't game and is eavesdropping sounds an awful lot like weed. Needless to say, the rumors were not pleasant and made work a bit uncomfortable.
I agree. I mean I get that nintendo wanted a cool name for the console, but I think that they can come up with something much better than the Wii for their next one, if they decide to do so. I honestly don't think that anyone would be upset with changing the name!

I would like something revamped just to have something fresh again, but I'm more assuming that they would keep the name just because it's so familiar to audiences by now. The only thing that would probably convince them otherwise is that their current brand is too similar to the old models so maybe that would be a factor in their decision making but I doubt they would change it.

Logically speaking, they'd probably go a new route, once it's time for a new system. Remember, there was NES (released in 1983) and then SNES (released in 1990). Just like how there's the Wii (released in 2006) and the Wii U (released in 2012). I predict that in 2018, more than likely in November, we'll have another system made by them. Who know they'll call it, however. More than likely, it'll probably be just as fun and cute as a title for a system just like the Wii.

Of course, they could never well do away with home systems all together since some companies are turning to making more mobile and handheld games these days. Square Enix have been going that way for some titles, it would seem, but I doubt that Nintendo would completely forgo home systems entirely, it's still a way to make money, after all.

I'm late for the party but it has been announced by Nintendo that their next console will be called Nintendo NX. Not much is known about the console. No details released but we are waiting.