Do you miss the annoying music?

g2narat

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
I'm not talking about any old games' music. To me most of them were annoying. Just like those old cellphones' ringtones. But do you miss them now? Or are you glad they're gone forever?

I honestly never got into the music in the NES or SNES games but I think the Sega Genesis had great music to their games. I don't know exactly what the difference was but it just sounded a lot more full and not really too much like MIDI tracks anymore.

Dude super mario world on the SNES had really epic music. The bowser castle theme, damn even these days that's still a great theme. And of course, the original mario theme from the original NES game was also great, that old music is often the best. I actually miss it.

I honestly never got into the music in the NES or SNES games but I think the Sega Genesis had great music to their games. I don't know exactly what the difference was but it just sounded a lot more full and not really too much like MIDI tracks anymore.
Ah so that's what they're called! MIDI tracks! Thanks for the info. I do remember some Sega music and they were still annoying to me but less so.
Dude super mario world on the SNES had really epic music. The bowser castle theme, damn even these days that's still a great theme. And of course, the original mario theme from the original NES game was also great, that old music is often the best. I actually miss it.
Haha! You miss it?! I don't actually, although I have to admit the super mario ones tend to stick to your head forever!

Ah so that's what they're called! MIDI tracks! Thanks for the info. I do remember some Sega music and they were still annoying to me but less so.
Yeah some were definitely better than others and the ones that were substandard definitely were very annoying but thankfully by the 16 bit era the standards were already very high. Even just the original Sonic theme as an example was already very good in my opinion, and also it was very interesting to see what they were coming up with using such limited tools.

Hmm, well it depends on the music in the game. I couldn't stand the music for most games on the Genesis or SNES/NES but there were a few games like the mario games or sega games that I really enjoyed. I suppose they did their best musically with what they had available to them at that time in regards to those companies though.

I feel like I wouldn't mind the music. I guess it's just the nostalgia masking its annoyance, though. I feel like themes the the mario theme have become so ingrained in our culture it's iconic, so I'm glad that this 8bit music existed.

Ultima Online still plays medieval music unless you shut it off. My son just started, and he likes it, as it is new to him (from the game, and hearing it in general). I continue with the 17-year-old game out of nostalgia, but the music is annoying and distracting, especially if I am listening for monsters in the area, before I can see them.

I remember some games like on the sega had annoying music and would get irritating, and would have to turn the sound off to play the game like in Tomb raider the original one the music was not that great and made it worse for me. Another game was, Tekken the first one the music could have been better and the graphics and controls could have been designed more appealing to someone wanting to buy the game. I think it could have been due to the technology available and what they could do and what not due to funding for the games.

I'm glad they are gone. They get bad after awhile. It didn't bother me before, but now that the bar has been raised, why go back to the bleeps and bops.

Some of these music tracks still bring back a lot of memories for me. If I heard one of these pieces of music, such as those from early Pokemon and Sonic, I always get a hit of nostalgia. Although, this enjoyment is probably only due to the nostalgia as these tracks were not great for music. The sounds and tracks in current games are leaps and bounds better compared to past games. The sounds in a game have become so much more integrated and important to the game, adding more player engagement.

Sega music used to annoy the heck out of me, but I do miss it. I think I'd love to hear it again... at least for a minute or two... before it drives me mad!

I actually liked the old Midi Music in some games... it drove me nuts in other games, though. The Super Mario Bros. theme was good to me, so was the themes in the Final Fantasy games.

If they were annoying I hardly think I would miss them. :)
Annoying tunes have been stuck in my head though. Especially certain ring tones.

I'm not talking about any old games' music. To me most of them were annoying. Just like those old cellphones' ringtones. But do you miss them now? Or are you glad they're gone forever?
Music was not my focal point as a child playing games but I know exactly what you mean. I'm glad gaming music has gotten a lot better, more modern, although you still have modern games with bad music but no where near the games of the past.

I kind of do. I enjoyed the catchiness of the music and think that a lot of games could benefit from more memorable music. That being said some of the music from the Kirby games did get annoying after awhile.

I actually really liked most of the MIDI music in the games I played. In hindsight, I appreciate that they were fitting in games that had the pixelized graphics and also, when you hear them in orchestra, the simplistic MIDI kind of provides a good comparison and makes the orchestra version that much more awesome.

Also, I thought it was great that the composers of those games can make such appropriate and fitting OSTs while only using a few bars of music. It makes me think they had to think so much harder about it or something, haha.

I remember collecting MIDI files, especially from the original Final Fantasy. Back then, they were musical masterpieces to me!

They definitely are just slightly outdated now, but listening to some of them would be a nice nostalgic treat. :)

Yes annoying music for games does not help its gameplay in any way HAHA. I love the Must button on the TV or the ability to turn off the background music. Music in general in some games is a very good tactical advantage. Like Call of duty, you know when you are close to an enemy because the music comes on. In games like I that I LOVE the music and I really dont care what it is, becasue in that game its a warning not something to relax to HAHA

Ultima Online still plays medieval music unless you shut it off. My son just started, and he likes it, as it is new to him (from the game, and hearing it in general). I continue with the 17-year-old game out of nostalgia, but the music is annoying and distracting, especially if I am listening for monsters in the area, before I can see them.

haha, the old 8bit music from UO was awesome. I think the smoothed it out now, it still sounds a little cheesy, but doesn´t grate on you like it used to. Some of the really old games, I don´t know why they even bothered, I don´t thing anyone could listen past the first minute. It was like they thought they had to include music but really didn´t expect anyone to use it.