Do not, i repeat Do not.....

asylum_boy

Executive Editor
Registered
Aug 2, 2005
On My Throne
....buy the core 360 system......Even if that's all the stores have.....Even if you are dying to get a 360....That was my story.....1 week ago, i had one of my friends mention that a particular games store had 1 360 left.....I knew that this was my chance and that i had to take it..........I had many, many, many different things for my original Xbox and i knew that if i waited too much longer, they wouldn't be worth squat in trade-in value.....that and the premium system was $100 more.....Sooooo, i took the plunge.....I got the one 360 they had left and that happened to be a core system.....You get the 360, not enough the bare essentials......I wanna scream because now that i have it and i had some more money....I have to buy a hard drive, memory card, HD cables, among other things.....Why did Microsoft do this??...I have no idea.....Don't get me wrong, i am absolutely thrilled that i finally got one.....And like everyone has already said, the system is tooooooo SWEET!!....Graphics are insane and the audio does not lack in any dept..........But the question still remains WHY???.....i have been a big fan of Xbox since the original first came out.....Yeah, i did have to buy most of that other stuff above for my original Xbox......I know i probably just answered my own question in this paragraph.....But, i say again, WHY Bill??????? :hissyfit:

hahahahahahaha.

Now that that is out of my system, they made it for the people that only want to mess with some of the games that will be for the 360, that do not require the hard drive, and who have no intention of having an HDTV. It also give you something to start with. Of course by the time you buy all of the extras that I got automatically with my $400 system, you would have spent much more than I did.

Not necessarily..........I want the VGA adapter to run into my adapter for my TV...I personally do not like the upconversion from HD component cables....And i really don't need a memory card, if i have the hard drive....But you're right about everything else.....But man, am i bitter, because you need some type of storage device to sign on to Xbox Live and the arcade......Again, i say ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Gotta catch 'em all!

Looks like I finally will be getting a hold of the Xbox 360 soon. How's this for a roundabout way of getting it -- I asked my brother, who lives near DC, to keep an eye out for one to cover more ground (he also can ship things for free from work). Well, today he gives me a call saying that a friend of his saw two units at a Best Buy down there and bought both because he ignorantly believed he could still profit by auctioning one off on eBay. Anyway, he was planning on just returning the unit, but I my brother told him that I was looking for one.

In a nutshell, I should have a unit sometime in the next week or so. Hopefully the product turns out better than my anecdote about it!

Oh, and it is the Premium model. No need to worry about that.

Well, it really isn't a better deal. The HD is 100, a year of XBL is 60, the wireless controller is 10 more, the memory card is 30.

It probably would. Without extensive modding, the PS2 would only accept that stupid 40 gig one, not just any HDD like it should have.

I did a little digging.

Nobody has relaly worked up an internal hard drive replacement, and even if you did it would void the warranty. However, it is possible to connect a hard drive using the USB ports -- which means you're not limited to laptop hard drives, which means you cna get more space for less cost. I can't tell if this lets the 360 actually use an external drive in the same way it uses the internal drive, though.

As for the PS2, all you really needed to install a non-Sony hard drive was a mod chip and a blank CD or a specific bottable CD that you can buy. I think there was also a soluition using a USB flash drive, but I don't recall how that worked.

In one of the past OXM issues, they tried almost everything to work with the USB ports on the 360......The actual storage devices and joysticks were the main 2 that were unsuccessful.....They said the 360 would recognize it and not respond to it after that....It's the same way with the Windows Media Center software.....You would have to buy a new tower just so it would be compatible......And like BC said, it would void the warranty.....Which Sucks!!!.....The only thing that gets me is that the company stated they would not have 3rd party accessories for the 360 like they did with the original Xbox.....Pelican and another company already has some out.....Mostly for controllers and video attachment cables.....Man, if they could just bring out a different hard drive or memory card, i'd be set.....OH Well, I guess i'm going to get the memory card today....Whoohoo.......(note sarcasm)

The deal with using an external hard drive is that you have to format it as FAT32, not NTFS. This means that for drivers over 32GB, you need some partitioning software. The tutorial where I got the info didn't say if you can read and write with it like the internal drive, but it would be a relaly cheap alternative if you can save to it like normal.

BTW, i know what FAT32 is......I wasn't trying to be skeptical, and i would definitely jump at the oppurtunity to have an external storage device......I have 2 for my computer and trust me, it saves my A**!!.....=)

So i got the memory card...and i have one thing to say....The Xbox Live is sooooooo much better on this one than the original Xbox.....The only thing with the memory card is that it is 64Mb.....which means you would only be able to download one game demo from the Xbox Live Arcade.....then you would have to delete it to download another.......And to top that off, if you wanted to download say a demo of PGR, Madden, NBA, Soccer, the memory card would not work.....'Cause most of their downloads are above 500 mb.....Crazy.....Well, i can't complain too much....at least i'm back online with Live....now i have to find a store with a 360 harddrive in stock.....they are about as scarce as the 360 is.........Now that my ranting is through for right now.....I wonder, have any of you guys downloaded the demos from the launch games??....Seeing that they are free, just require the Hard Drive....Are they worth downloading??.....I mean, i played the Call of Duty one and it rocked

I've seen people who are syaing they've already filled up the 360's hard drive with downloads, I think the primary culprit is the FF11 download, if you have a couple of others on there.

If a FAT32 formatted external hard drive could actually be read and written from/to, it would help out in that department a lot. I have an extra 40GB drive lying around and would experiment if someone wants to donate a 360 core system.

they are also filling it up with music. I've heard of more than one kid (yes, they are all in high school or act like it) who've tried to put every note of music they even remotely like on it. If I start filling it up, I'll just delete off the music and videos that came on it already.

heehee.....nice one BC....You are correct that the formatted external would help....And i have nooo idea why they would download the FF11, when you can get it with the OXM this month....I didn't buy the mag just for that, they also had the Call of Duty 2 demo on there.....but anyways, it would be cool to attach one of the devices you were discussing...Or at least for Xbox not to have as big of file downloads as they do for these games....i hope that made sense....haha