digital download or not?

pwarbi

Registered
Mar 9, 2015
UK
Personally I haven't even used then disc tray on my ps4 yet. All the games I have, have been downloaded off the PlayStation store. While it is a lot more convenient, I do tend to think I'm missing out a little on not just the whole game buying experience, but also on the fact I dont have a shelf full of games taking up space.
I quite liked a shelf full of games taking up space!
What's your thoughts? Digital all the way or the good old fashioned disc?

I do digital almost all the time as well, you aren't alone.

I prefer getting the disc, just so I can get some value out of the game once I'm done with it. Personally, I've got enough space, so other than that, I don't see an advantage of going digital right now. However, when the sales on PSN beat the cheapest price for the physical copy, I'll go the digital copy, no problem.

Well I would refer to have a hard copy of my games because anything can happen and you lose all your data on your hard drive. The digital format may be more convenient but it is also risky because you can lose it at anytime should your storage medium becomes corrupted.

Well I would refer to have a hard copy of my games because anything can happen and you lose all your data on your hard drive. The digital format may be more convenient but it is also risky because you can lose it at anytime should your storage medium becomes corrupted.

Most services let you just re-download anything you've purchased...

I do usually buy digitally. We don't really have great deals on used games where I live, so digital is definitely a way to go when it comes to discounts. Especially now, that Sony started to finally have good discounts on games pretty regularly. I bought Catherine few weeks back for ~$5, hard copy would set me back at least 20. :)

It's definitely a very easy and convenient way to get new games! It's much easier to just download it from home rather than have to leave and go to the store to purchase it, and then there's always the choice that the store might be out of stock of that particular game that you want. When there are younger kids who can't drive and maybe need to have parents take them to the store, the parent might not always want to go.

Generally I prefer to own the physical disc. I am old school and like to physically own the disc, artwork, box etc. to add to my collection. With physical discs I also have the option to trade it in or re-sell it where as digital downloads don't afford this option.

I stopped dealing with digital when I lost all my games due to an error on PlayStation's part. They ended up giving me credits but they did not equal what I spent & I lost a lot. After that I decided I'd be better off with the physical discs.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that hasnt read all the terms and conditions but I'm was told that if you have downloaded a game and there is an error, be that on your part, theirs or just faulty equipment then you still have the rights to the data you have paid for and downloaded so you are free to download that game again?
I may be wrong but that's what I've heard...

I like having a cool collection of games and their cases just cause. It also allows me to re-sell and trade games with people I know unlike digital downloads. I guess they're convenient but that's about it.

I always get physical versions of the games I buy. I only download Playstation plus games digitally, otherwise I always get the disc version. Here in Finland digital versions often cost more than physicals, and even if it was the other way around I would go for the physical versions, because I like the cases on my shelf, and don't want to give up of the old school feeling of getting the physical version.

I do not get the physical copies of games that much anymore because it is so much more easier for me to just get the digital copy on the internet. This saves me time and I do not have to go out and physically get the game. So I spend more time downloading games then actually going out and buying them.

I like having a cool collection of games and their cases just cause. It also allows me to re-sell and trade games with people I know unlike digital downloads. I guess they're convenient but that's about it.

I agree. That is my biggest set back. I just feel like I have to have the cases. I have mine all neatly arranged with character figures for each system sitting with them. I love to have them out on display, but if I ever wanted to sell them having the case and artwork makes them worth a lot, as well.

I'm leaning toward the digital download side of things since you do eliminate that threat of getting the CD getting scratched up or even losing the CD as well! The obvious downside is that you got to download the game onto the console and there is also a risk of losing data on your hard drive which is always a pain in re downloading and such. For me personally, I'd rather re download lost or corrupted game data rather than losing or damaging the game disc...

Does anybody know the rules and regulations when it comes to being able to re download lost or corrupted data? Is it a case of if its yours then your free to re download it as many times as you like or is there a limit etc?

On the consoles I use the discs but, have done some downloads and have to make sure the internet connection is really good or it won't download and cut off while doing it. With a disc you know it is going to play, unless it has marks or scratches on it and than you will have to end up buying another one which could be hard to find or a bit dearer if the game is rare one in the store. I have, had to reload game when downloading as there was a error due to connection cut off halfway and was annoying to see happen halfway when the download was nearly complete.

I think while its true that discs USED to be more reliable than downloads, I'm not so sure that's the case anymore. I know lots of people that have unwrapped a brand new disc and its failed to play or had data damage. I think a lot of this has to do with the amount of data that games use now, its stretching the discs capabilities to its limit.

Last edited:
It's a mix. I have both hard copies and digital downloads. Hardcopies I generally get collector's editions for games I'm extremely interested in.

I do download some games but those are mostly indie games, otherwise I will go and buy the physical copy. Like you said, I like having that shelf full of my games to be able to play whenever I want. So I have always been more inclined to buying the physical copy of the game than downloading it. The other time that I will download a big game like Call of Duty or Lords of the Fallen is if PlayStation Plus or Xbox Gold is offering it for free.

Reactions: pwarbi