Classic games section?

Stan

myGamer Slave
Staff member
Registered
Jun 22, 2005
www.mygamer.com
Should we open a classic games section here at mygamer? Im wondering if people would contribute to that new forum discussing the games and systems of the past...

Let me know what you guys think...

Yea we need one. I tired of the same ol threads over nd over about new games and new systems. I want to live in the past.

Lets start

Lets not spend time deciding whether or not to talk about old games/systems...lets do it :)

Why classic games are important: embedded in those old games were some hilarious and most fun moments that several (if not 86% of us) enjoyed.

Here are some of my favorite things

Wall jumps on Samus in SNES Metroid:
[Good times]
-the dust off the wall when you do it...and even more fun with high jump boots
-making the little blue heads bob near ballform with it
-using it to get a few of the impossible to get power ups

Metroid II: Gameboy [funny bad times]...just fun rolling for 30 minutes until you see that stupid spike ahead on the ceiling that means you've wasted all that time...but when the spikes hit you sometimes, you may get a chance to jump...but not sure if there was ever enough momentum to get back into spideball before you plummeted 3 screens down into the middle of enemies.

Link to the Past when they temper your sword; when you found the bottles; when you get the cool boomerang

Link's awakening...when you find all those @#$@ shells and get the cool s-word

Batman (NES): walljumps ftw, plus pretty cool music

Best of all (and especially for Double Dragon games), the ~~~nes MAX controller~~~
best controller of all time in my opinion. No point in playing the old games without this, but Wii is fun for other stuff too I'm sure...

Double Dragon (NES) [good times]...hearts give you new moves...the jump kick, the sit-on-them-and-punch (which really takes them out of commission fast)
Double Dragon II (NES) [awesome]...the jump-knee that sends enemies 30 yards away, uppercut that knocks them about 16 feet in the air.
Double Dragon III: [endless fun...till you die at boss lady 5 times] the jump-throw and the wall kick. Plus, getting to play Chin and Ranzou

Mario 3: the bear/stone statue suit and hammer bros suit...but I always died too quickly before I could get too much fun out of 'em... [fun, but doesn't last long]

Brawl Brothers (SNES)...[fun until you go in the wrong sewer doors or building elevators for 2 hrs] the green ninja guy with triple jump and stealth fighting special move.

Faxanadu (NES) [endless fun]...just play it for the music, but also fun to get Tilt magic, or to save up and get the cool shield (and death magic maybe) at the first shop. [Discouraging]: when the boots stop flying and you're not to the fountain guy, or having to listen to the boss music too much.

Wave Race (n64 [not as classic...])...doing a 360 twist at the harbor

Adventure of Link (Zelda II NES): [fun] sword fighting knights; down stabbing; fairy form; high jump. [not fun]: traveling through the swamp and getting hit by powerful enemies all the time.

Gameboy Teteris: (not sure if spelled right, but classic fun worth the price of your first gameboy)

Nuby Gameboy Speakers (again, not sure if spelled right, but perfect for pumping out the jams of Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge for Gameboy).

Castlevania II (Game boy)...worth playing for the music

Donkey Kong (SNES)...great music and graphics

What does this mean for gaming? It means that the funnest things are not the coolest graphics all the time, the funnest things are not about killing people all the time...its about sport, fun playability, excellent controlability (able to wall jump and at different distances/angles/heights aka Super Metroid), challenging (so that you eventually do things you were not sure were possible), and fun/good/cool music [which can be amazing even if its in that 8-bit Nintendo/Gameboy tones].

He is my best friend from my home town. Much of these comments are inside jokes. He singlehandedly kept an independent game store alive in our home town even after we both moved away. He did this mainly by purchasing old NES and SNES games for a couple bucks. He is not quite on the lvl of Metroid Fanatic that I am, but it was on his SNES that I first played Super Metroid. He probably kings me on dedication for almost every other Nintendo series. Our crowning achievement was beating Double Dragon III one night. It took a damn long time. KICK ME IN THE JIMMY. KICK ME IN THE CHIN. While he does ramble frequently, the above rant was probably fueled by the fact that it was Tuesday morning and the WoW realms were down for maintainance. It is during this time that we pale ones crawl out of our dark corridors and reemerge, if only briefly, in the world around us.

He is my best friend from my home town. Much of these comments are inside jokes. He singlehandedly kept an independent game store alive in our home town even after we both moved away. He did this mainly by purchasing old NES and SNES games for a couple bucks. He is not quite on the lvl of Metroid Fanatic that I am, but it was on his SNES that I first played Super Metroid. He probably kings me on dedication for almost every other Nintendo series. Our crowning achievement was beating Double Dragon III one night. It took a damn long time. KICK ME IN THE JIMMY. KICK ME IN THE CHIN. While he does ramble frequently, the above rant was probably fueled by the fact that it was Tuesday morning and the WoW realms were down for maintainance. It is during this time that we pale ones crawl out of our dark corridors and reemerge, if only briefly, in the world around us.

Ok. I remember the old X-Men arcade game just a piece of flawless gaming history. And i know a newer version is coming out soon, but the first three sonic games will always reign #1 in my book.

Classic gaming forums sound like a great place for geeks to whine about how Final Fantasy VIII was awful and how Legend of Zelda either peaked at Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time, presuming neither of them are bashed as being overrated. Which they will be.

All the same, having a seperate place for that kind of whining would be useful, and some decent conversation about where games have been and where they're going will have a more appropriate home.