Child of Light

petrushka

Registered
Dec 2, 2014
childoflightmygamer

Anyone here played/playing Child of Light by Ubisoft Montreal? It's a side-scroll platform role-playing game with a turn-based fighting system that's a little similar to the Grandia games in that it has a wait time for attack and then a "cast" time to execute the action, depending on how long the action is. It also uses the ubi-art framework which is in Legends and Rayman while the actual aesthetics reminds me of Okami, but with a more European fairytale twist.

You play as the Austrian Child!Princess Aurora who dies suddenly at the start of the story but then wakes up in the unknown world called Lemuria.

I'm currently at Chapter 5 and the aesthetics are just so pretty. The entire world is a backdrop of water-coloured paintings and Aurora's hair has a command script of its own. Story and gameplay are pretty straightfoward and if you've ever heard or read about a fairytale, you kinda figure out the end boss from the prologue alone but it's been fun. Cons is that certain encounter fights are actually harder to defeat than some boss battles. I was told it's pretty short too, so that might be a con for those who like spending hours on an RPG.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been interested in it. Finding it on sale on the PlayStation Store for my Vita'll put me over the edge.

Child of Light got nominated for an award or two at The Game Awards Show last night.

It's pretty good, not perfect (get slightly repetitive towards the end and the story could be slightly deeper), but pretty good. First game I've actually finished on my brother's XB1.

I picked it up during the last Steam summer sale (sorry, not ps3/ps4) but it's one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played. I instantly fell in love with the art style. I've only gotten through a couple chapters I think and it's pretty cool, but I've never been good at turn-based RPGs. As soon as I faced the first "boss," I suddenly remembered how bad I am at them, haha!

Child of Light got nominated for an award or two at The Game Awards Show last night.
That's wonderful! I checked online but was only able to see one nomination though - Best Score/Soundtrack. What was the other one?

First game I've actually finished on my brother's XB1.
Congratulations~ I'm in Chapter 10 right now, which is apparently the last chapter for this game. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

I instantly fell in love with the art style.
The art, yes! The world is so beautiful and I love all the attention to little details, like how the water is affected when Aurora flies over them. Good luck with the game and I hope you get used to the turn-based gameplay. That's my favourite type of gameplay so this game worked really well for me, haha.

That's wonderful! I checked online but was only able to see one nomination though - Best Score/Soundtrack. What was the other one?

There isn't a second now now that I look back to discount double check the info. When I made the post I thought it was more than one which is obviously why I said it got nominated for "an award or two".

Ahh, gotcha. I was probably too excited about the nomination that I hoped I just didn't see the other one, haha! I'm now on the last chapter of the game so my excitement to see how it ends (even though cliche fairytale tropes abound) probably made me wish there was more than one.

Still! I'm glad to know they're nominated for the Best Score/Soundtrack award. The music was perfect for this moody, fantasical theme with the piano and strings and the sudden sweeping orchestra. Even if it doesn't win, I'm glad it was nominated once at least.

Although of course, I do hope it wins, haha.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been interested in it. Finding it on sale on the PlayStation Store for my Vita'll put me over the edge.

It just went on sale this week as part of the Holiday Sale so I will soon be the proud owner of Child of Light.

This was certainly amazing timing!

It just went on sale this week as part of the Holiday Sale so I will soon be the proud owner of Child of Light.

This was certainly amazing timing!
Lucky you! Hope you have a great time playing this.

It's too short in comparison to what I'm used to and again, if you have ever read a fairytale, you pretty much can figure out the main villain from the prologue alone. But the artwork is so pretty and the side-scrolling and the fights were so nostalgic (even if there ARE only two of you at most). I also really liked that you could explore the world even after the actual narrative is accomplished since I'm a completionist and I always want to have opened every chest and taken every item. :p

Feel free to post your thoughts when you're done! I think it's something you can complete in a weekend if you want and I'm always interested in knowing what people think about games I loved playing.

I just started playing the game yesterday and am really enjoying it. The artwork is incredible and the battles are satisfying and unique.

Ooh, nice to know you're enjoying it! What chapter are you now and are you collecting the occuli? Collecting and combining them was one of my favourite parts since I like having side-quests in RPGs I play. I guess that's one thing I miss with this game since it's very straightforward, haha. But I love the Princess Stone! If you can, try and get it!

It's a combination of a brilliant diamond, onyx and spinel. It will take a while but the boosts it gives is awesome. :)

I haven't tried this one yet but I'd like to, it's one that I'm interested in for sure and I've heard some good things about it. It seems worth a try, I think.

^ It's perfect for those who like JRPGs, especially with the occuli customization and the active time battle. :) Contains very traditional fairy tale elements too, so if you like them stories, it calls to mind a lot of those tropes. Short but very fun game! Hope you have fun when you get to try it~

This game was very beautiful, from the time I loaded it, til' the time of all the sidequests to garner additional party members (I'm looking at you, clowns) it held my interest the entire time as an RPG. My only gripe is the chapters are too short and the content is too limited. I like the diabloesque gem system and combinations to knowing how to swap party members in for increased effect. I've never been truly disappointed at any Ubisoft game lately, as they apparently can do no wrong. I've enjoyed all their Assassin Creed games but I feel their true strength (And the Strength of Ubisoft Montreal) is Prince of Persia and these type games.

^ The fact that it was so short is my main problem with it too! I understand that, considering how stringently it followed fairy tale conventions, that it would have finished after a certain point, but I had hoped that there was more exploration into the little facets that we see, like the documents and how the people of Austria were saved at the end.

I did enjoy myself immensely though! I haven't replayed yet, but I'm also interested to know how the replay value holds up.

Replay is fun - try experimenting with different parties, a bunch of comboes have a bunch of strengths inside that game. I liked their level and talent system it felt natural and well designed. I would like to see it applied to future RPGs.

I played the game using different party members on the initial run so I don't know if this will be a different experience in the replay, haha. I'm sure I had a few under utilized characters but each brought something to the table so I switched around a lot. I do want to achieve a perfect Princess Gem equip though. :p Wonder if I can do that, haha!