Captain N the Game Master

SquallSnake7

Editor in Chief
Jun 23, 2005
IL
I bought the DVD set. Man, it is so strange to go back and watch these shows today. Anyone else pick up this DVD pack or see remember seeing the cartoon way back in the day?

In my own subjective opinion, Captain N was a case of an interesting concept that was poorly executed: To explore and integrate the characters and worlds from the various classic NES games from the perspective of fellow Mary Sue gamer is a great concept, but was absolutely butchered in execution by misrepresenting the characters in various needlessly gratingly obnoxious and inept ways.

It's really a shame that Captain N's producers didn't go a better job of representing these classic NES characters and worlds within the series. If they did so, the series might have been better received both then and now, and perhaps could have an inspired a NES game of its own! Just imagine, a Captain N game where you visit Castlevania for a few levels before taking on Dracula, Dr. Wiley's castle for a few more levels before taking on Dr. Wiley, Planet Zebes for yet few more levels before taking on Mother Brain, and so on! In a fashion were you choose you own path through Videoland à la Mega Man or Bucky O' Hare, perhaps even backtraking if need be à la Metroid and Blaster Master! It's just such a wasted opportunity!

I enjoyed this cartoon when I was a kid but by now I don't really remember much from it anymore nor what I really enjoyed about it. I think I just liked having something to watch that wasn't too stupid or boring, and even though this cartoon is arguable silly I think it is but in the way that still makes it fun.

I never even knew this show existed until I saw the Nostalgia Critic review it one day on YouTube. It seems like it was one of those shows that got lost in the midst of all the Nintendo and Sega based programming that was coming out at the time. It is still something that I want to go back and watch one day, even though it's obviously a huge plug for Nintendo characters and products.

I keep holding out in vain hope that someday... Nintendo will revive this series. There was so much that they could have done with it! Just look at what they did for Mega Man when get got his various anime series.... then look at what they did to him on Captain N. Mega-bummer.

Beyond reviving Captain N as an animated series, just imagine it revived as an actual video game! One in which the player, as Captain N and his various allies, travels through numerous levels spanning Castlevania, Planet Zebes, Hyrule, The Mushroom Kingdom, Dr. Wiley's castle, etc, etc, etc. If done today, we could even add the likes of Sonic The Hedgehog, Star Fox, and their settings into that mix too! It would be the ultimate (largely Nintendo centric) massive crossover video game, more so than even Super Smash Bros!

Haha, I absolutely loved Captain N the Game Master! I used to be a sucker for those old school video game-based cartoons like Mega Man and Super Mario Bros. I wouldn't want to watch them again. I think seeing those shows again would ruin my nostalgia because of how cheesy they were!