Can I get some PS3 details?

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
I was wondering a few things. First, if Microsoft is losing $126 on every 360, and they are planning on selling 3 million (which is completely reasonable and probably a conservative goal), that is quite a hefty loss. Sony can't afford that kind of a loss, so are there any estimates on pricing?

If the pricing can't compete with 360, then Microsoft may have dropped one heck of a bomb on their empire.

Second, I've heard plenty of talk about the instability of the Blueray technology. What is unstable? What problems are, or could, be there? Does this apply to PC's as well (meaning the upcoming battle between HDDVD and Blueray)?

No, they aren't going to lose that much money. They're "losing money" because the fixed costs from starting an entirely new production haven't been covered yet. They'll be making money quite soon. As for the PS3, early estimates are suggesting the price will be $500. Without the HD. As for Blueray, I dunno much about it, other than that Sony plans on using it to make its graphics massively great.

Sony has fairly deep pockets, they're involved in a number of industries, and not just electronics manufacturing.

Nobody really knows what the final retail price of the PS3 will be. Numbers from $300-$1000 are thrown around. Who knows? When it's released in Japan we'll have a rough idea.

This is a good place to start for info on blu-ray technology. In short, blu-ray is am optical storage technology just like CD and DVD, capable of holding comparitively high amounts of data. Honestly, I'm expecting everything to go to flash memory sooner or later, as it's becoming smaller and cheaper by the day. Flash memory is already making the mini-HD's of things like iPods obsolete, and will probably do the same for optical storage once manufacturing costs drop.

the battle lines are definitely drawn. I honestly don't care if blueray succeeds or not as long as HD is successful. Unfortunately it will end up as one or the other. I wonder how this one will be decided: by the manufacturers or the consumers? If blueray is tougher to crack (copyright protection), I would think that most consumers would want the opposite.

Ding, Ding, Ding....Darth....you're the winner....Copyright is the keyword....I don't wanna dog BlueRay, but we all know they are only using it 'cause noone else is......Sony needs to be careful with this technology........Kinda of like the movie "I, Robot".....It will come back to bite you.....hahaha

Yeah, I have heard from the same uber-geeks that sing the praises of blueray. Some are starting to wonder about copyright protection. "Will all this stuff I've downloaded be readable?" "Will I be able to download more stuff and burn it?"

These are the same guys that download SOMETHING every day. One of them has Netflix send him movies every week, copies them and sends them back. He has gone through about 200 discs. "What, I won't be able to copy a blueray disc?"

On the topic of pricing. Ken Kutaragi of Sony stated earlier that "It will be expensive" and that Sony wants "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else." So i really think it will be at a higher price than the 360's 300-400$ range because I doubt they would say something like that when they already knew the 360 price range.

At least he didn't come right out and say "how much equity do you have in your house?" or "we want consumers to think to themselves 'I will improve my credit score so I can buy one.'"

My fear is not the stability of the disc; it is the cost of the games on new technology that has to have completely new manufacturing equipment. HD-DVD just needs slight new tweeks on the current equipment. And no Darth you will not be able to copy Blue-ray nor HD-DVD. How ever with the new HP and Intel Home Entertainment systems you will be able to off load them on to somekind of system to play HD-DVD through out the house. But Blue-ray will not. Right now neither vender even allows coping of the DVD's for you own private backups (even when you actually purchase the disc).