Best/Worst Video Game Movie Adaptations?

I would actually be very interested in watching an animated Super Mario Bros movie. There were reports at the end of last year that Sony were trying to negotiate with Nintendo to secure the rights to develop an animated movie. I hope this come to fruition.

I could see this working really well as an animated movie! At least it would probably work out much better than the live action disaster of the last movie.

Mortal Kombat and Final Fantasy The Spirits Within are the only two even minorly redeamable video game to movie translations I have seen. The Resident Evil movies, horrible. Mario Brothers, horrible. Tomb Raider, well not too bad but really quite forgetable. I caught a few minutes of than Chung Li movie on TV and that was despressingly bad. I haven't seen most of these thankfully.

I'm looking forward to Assassins creed. I don't particularly like the game all that much but I do olive the design of it and I'm excited to see what they do with it for the movie. I just hope they don't make everything black.
I am interested in the movie also although I am a bit concerned by the choice of writers. This definitely has potential and Michael Fassbender involvement is a positive but I can't overlook the fact that the writers were responsible for such "gems" as Tower Heist, New York Minute and Accepted.

As for what I consider to be the best film based upon a video game, I vote for... *drum-roll* Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers, which I view as a satire of war time propaganda (albeit unsubtle, ultra-violent satire seems to be one of Verhoven's greatest strengths, as per his RoboCop).

As for what I consider to be the worst film based upon a video game, I vote for... *drum-roll* the bulk of Uwe Boll's filmography! Okay, if gun-to-my-head I'm absolutely forced to narrow it down to a single film as the worst of the worst: I'll vote for House of the Dead!

Certainly, it does seem as if cinematic adaptations of video games tend to be bad more often than not. As such, I immediately have apprehensive reservations and low expectations whenever I hear word of another adaptation (such as NetFlix's recently announced The Legend of Zelda series) in the works.

However, although there may not be a strong precedent for quality film and television adaptations of video game based material (to make quite the understatement): the mere lack of a precedent by no means precludes the sheer possibility of creating a quality film or television adaptation of video game based material (although it certainly suggests a strong historical unlikelihood).

It is not entirely out of the realm of possibility that the film and television industry may eventually learn from their mistakes with respect to adapting video game based material and start producing higher quality adaptations--as they eventually did with their adaptations of comic books. (And if higher quality productions were to be produced, it would be adaptations from quality games providing source material sufficiently rich and developed to lend itself to a quality film or television adaptation--ones that moreover have a sufficiently broad enough appeal to support such expensive projects, mind you.)

So over the years there's been various attempts at turning games into movies (some probably more successful than others!) Which have been your favourite, and which upcoming ones are you most looking forward to?

I'm actually kinda looking forward to seeing the Warcraft movie, I think it could potentially either be really great or really terrible.
So there is a Warcraft movie that is coming out soon? I think that should get some people excited. I too hope it would be good so it can be a good videogame movie transition. I know the Mortal Kombat movie was not as good as some people would want it, but that is going back to the 90's like early 90's.

I could see this working really well as an animated movie! At least it would probably work out much better than the live action disaster of the last movie.
I'd love to see that too. I think it would be the right way to go about it if they made it an animated movie because the characters are just too silly to work in live action. Although, I'm still convinced that someone could make it work.

I'd love to see that too. I think it would be the right way to go about it if they made it an animated movie because the characters are just too silly to work in live action. Although, I'm still convinced that someone could make it work.
I agree. I think the characters themselves better lend themselves to being animated as opposed to a live action movie.

The latest news that I read was that Spider-Man producer Avi Arad was interested in making the animated movie. I haven't read anything in the last three months but hopefully this is still in the works. I would definitely be interested in watching this.

So there is a Warcraft movie that is coming out soon? I think that should get some people excited. I too hope it would be good so it can be a good videogame movie transition. I know the Mortal Kombat movie was not as good as some people would want it, but that is going back to the 90's like early 90's.
It looks as though the tentative release date for the Warcraft movie is March 11, 2016. It will be directed by Duncan Jones who has a history of making movies with a science-fiction slant, including Source Code and Moon.

Beowulf: The Game that followed up the recent movie was unbelievably terrible. The game started with one of the worst boss battles ever and just got progressively worse.