At work

GhostToast

Supp. Editor/Admin
Registered
i'm at work. i'm bored. i wish i were playing half-life 2. and while i'm wishing i guess i also wish i had a better connection than dialup at home.

so i guess i'll just ask anybody who might be listening if they have played Plan of Attack for HL2 yet and what they thought of it.

No clue the answer to your question my man. I just wanted to thank you for posting. I saw you are a new member, and we appreciate you participating in the boards. I hope you keep throwing posts out there. We need more people to make a showing in the forums.

To turn this topic in a completely different direction, if you are willing, what guitars do you have? I am a casual guitarist. My first was a Fernandez telecaster knockoff that my parents got me without too much research. It was a solid guitar though. Senior year, I think, I bought a Carvin that has more of a Les Paul shape. Both are electric. I have an acoustic that is a Martin knockoff. The brand is Sigma. I played guitar a lot in high school and college. I had a few bands. Unfortunately with graduation, we went our separate ways and I haven't played much since. I bought Garageband for my Apple, and have tinkered with that a little bit. I am writing a book now, so hopefully when I finish that I will return to some musical endeavors.

i am self taught, started in late high school on a spanish guitar my mom has had forever. i bought a fender strat cheapo soon after and had that for a few years. eventually i inherited my sister's martin electric -- yep martin made a few electrics back in the day. i thought i would get to keep it so i traded my fender for a fender accoustic. soon after, my sister reposessed her electric. a couple years after that (in college all this is happening) i bought a near-the-bottom-of-the-barrel ibanez electric. i dont know much about it. but i mostly play accoustic now. the trade was really worth it, even though my accoustic is not solid top.

i was in a couple of drinking bands in college. that pretty much means we would only practice and get drunk. and besides that we just spent the whole time coming up with fun names. my personal favorite was Ivan Klbklbakhr (pronounced KullBICKlebocker..supposed to sound russian) and the Moscowts! (as in...scouts...) ya anyway. pretty bad eh? that's what's so great about it.

i still play a decent amount and have written a few songs. working in an intermediate care facility with long-term residents has given me a lot of time and opportunity to play for a captive audience, so i'm lucky i have a job where i can do that from time to time.

i mostly play modest mouse and radiohead and pride myself on having memorized a great majority of their songs. what do you play?

I was never very good at learning covers. In high school, I played in various incarnations of bands, but we tried to do some original stuff. At one of our "shows," however, we did crank out a version of Custom Concern. I have it recorded. In college, as well, we mainly did original stuff.

I can play parts of a various songs: a couple Pink Floyd one's, Led Zepellin, Phish. That's about it.

My high school band covered "God rest ye merry gentlemen," with kind of a punk beat and distorted guitars. My college band did the main theme of Inspector Gadget. Those were probably my favorite covers.

I like the band names idea. When my high school band was going to try out for the talent show, we spent much time coming up with band names. The final two were Optimus Prime and Drownin' Dwayne and the High Water Band. We went with the latter. Eventually my high school band changed its name to Baltimore Jenkins, and my college band was called The Deloris Revenge.

We did plenty of the "drinking band." We played more for ourselves and whoever was hanging around our practice space than true shows.

I have a guitar. It's blue. I can play mary had a little lamb

No seriously, its a "startcaster". not a stratacaster, a starcaster... its by fender though. I bough a begginner's set (came with amp, strings gig bag and guitar) for 200 bucks last year. I'm slowly getting better...

[font size=4 color=orange]GhostToast, check ur email.[/font]

ya i play some pink floyd too, and zeppelin. and a couple of others here and there. i'm pretty much at the point where i can figure out most songs by listening to them and playing along..but that is predominantly chords. i dont do much soloing, however i do know lots of solo parts to the two bands i worship: radiohead and modest mouse.

I don't really know any MM besides Custom Concern that I mentioned above. I have Kid A and I really enjoyed that album. One of these days when I start buying music again, I will explore more of Radiohead's stuff. Any suggestions for the next album?

One reason I never learned as many songs was that I was more interested in soloing than chords. I played lead guitar for my various bands. We would try and work in sections for improvisation. It was much fun. While I had ZERO stage pressence, I thought I could play a pretty mean solo. I earned the nickname The Destroyer, but that is a story for another day.

Hey, more power to you. I don't think girls cried when I sang, but I mostly kept my eyes closed when I did so. People could have been constructing an idol of me out of bar peanuts or clawing their eyes out with their car keys and I would have been none the wiser.

Ghost, my friend, I'm not sure if your post helped me any. I'm not up on you youngin's street slang. And I meant "youngin'" on the offchance that your birthday is after mine, which would make such a label true.

ok the basic premise of this particular genre fits right along with the gameplay of dance dance revolution. the player has an input device that is either just a normal controller or one that mimics an instrument (donkey konga for example) or other peripheral (dance pad). the game shows some kind of primitive sheet music and the user must push the correct buttons/input devices in sequence with the instructions on the game in order to earn points or progress through the game.

so i think it must be something like that with emphasis on guitar play

Grif: Lopez, he said Lopez. I understood that. I can speak spanish.

Ahhh, that made much more sense. I have heard of Dance Dance Revolution and Donkey Konga, but I have heard of any others. Thanks for the explanation.