Anything besides Graphics?

The reason I think the "media hub" concept will work is for people that like technology, but don't exactly get along with it. My father-in-law is an electrical engineer who designs substations, but try having him figure out one of the six remote controls he has for satellite, tv, tivo, dvd, stereo, vcr. Then he has to battle my mother-in-law for use of the computer. He would be much happier with one thing that did everything. He is already grumbling about having to get either a blueray or hddvd player. He may never play anything more sophisticated than pacman, but he would love to have one thing to rule them all. One thing to bind them...

Well, if anyone else remembers there was this big divx thing back when DVD's were just coming out. Everyone was worried about whether or not they would have to get a divx player or dvd or both or whatever. Turns out divx went nowhere, and it ddn't matter to most people because most people aren't early adopters. Most people wait until prices come down in order to buy new tech, especially if they have to replace old tech.

I don't know, I just don't see it happening. The systems are too expensive for the average person to consider, especially if they already have a surround sound system and so on. The segment of the market that knows enough about it to make a decision, has a need for the unit, and can afford to buy it is pretty slim. Everyone else will look at these things and just consider them as toys for their kids. It's going to take something else to get them into the living room of the average family, which is why I think the average consumer isn't quite ready for it.

sony did the same crap with the beta-max. they pulled the same shit when all the companies got together to determine formatting for dvd's too. they just try to pull new crap out of their asses, and when they do, most of the industry scrambles behind them. it will be interesting, for sure.

People, most of the time, do wait for the price to drop on these new "tech" things....but....their quandry mostly is they have to make sure it's working at top notch form before buying it.....Which is kind of dumb.....Look at digital phone over a broadband service....Most people won't even try it because it's new......So to those people, it's ok that your landline phone company has been raping you blind with charges and sub-charges.....But with digital phone, you don't have to pay but $25 or less a month for everything.....The same scenario applies to the consoles.......So i agree with BC about the whole "media hub" might not take off as quickly.....But the average public is "trying" to become more tech-savvy everyday, and if you throw kids into the mix...........Hell, kids are teaching some of their parents how to use the computer these days when it used to be the other way around....How hard would it be for them to show their parents that they could have the vcr, dvd, cd player, phone(maybe, it isn't confirmed), and all your entertainment needs all in one.....it wouldn't be that difficult....