Anyone concerned about DLC and Micro-transactions from Nintendo?

Boxcube

Registered
Jan 18, 2015
So far Nintendo has done mostly an excellent job on handling DLC, and there lack of micro-transactions. But, there are some worrying signs.

Mario Golf 3DS had DLC ready right as the game was released, and 2 other DLC options soon after. Yes they added a lot of courses, but why couldn't they just put them all in the shipped game? You only had 3 regular courses with the game, (not including the more bizarre themed courses) which for me was disappointing.

I will say they have done an excellent job with the Mario Kart DLC.

Personally, I dislike all DLC and free to play style games. The main reason for that is when this generation of consoles enters the "retro" phase, unless you still have your DLC saved to a working hard drive you will never be able to play those DLC courses again. Meaning later on if you want to collect the Wii U games you never had, like I am collecting Gamecube games right now, the DLC won't be available.

Any thoughts on this?

I think Nintendo has done a great job with their DLC do far, but they might be being too conservative with it. They are leaving money on the table.

Nintendo is really one of the few companies to not milk the DLC option. Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 DLC, for example, provided great bang for your buck. And they are giving away Mewtwo in Smash if you register your game. Nintendo has been good about this and don't foresee them taking advantage anytime soon (hopefully).

I like the concept of. DLC Because it allows developers to keep adding on a game even after a sale, enough that it extends the replay factor of each game exponentially. I think. Nintendo has done fairly well with this too, as the transactions always seem fair from my view.

Also, it's important to note that plenty of companies and developers are throwing microtransactions into their games, whether they're for skins or actual in-game items that help someone achieve more in-game. It's something that no developer or gaming company is immune from, and more and more consumers are choosing to pay for these in-game purchases.

Hard to say, I would like to think Nintendo wouldn't fall so low but you just never know when it comes to business. I hope Nintendo can use DLC the right way.

So far Nintendo hasn't really nickeled and dimed everyone. Sure they have offered some DLC but it is usually quality, like in Mario Kart 8, or just completely optional if you are purely looking for more content like NSMB2. They are one of the few companies that dont really milk the system. amiibos on the other hand...

I agree with what others have said above. Nintendo's DLC has always been good quality. That said, for FE: Fates, it was disappointing to get the game a year later and then already have over $70 worth of DLC ($25 if we're not counting other routes) there. It makes me feel so behind.