Any good RPGs?

Nero

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
Do you guys know any good ones? I think Bravely Default is good, but I don't know. Also how do you usually play RPGs?

Fire Emblem: Awakening. The game is fantastic in every way, from it's animations, to it's dialogue, to it's refined gameplay. The game is worth every penny you can put into it, and is my favorite 3DS game.

Fire Emblem: Awakening. The game is fantastic in every way, from it's animations, to it's dialogue, to it's refined gameplay. The game is worth every penny you can put into it, and is my favorite 3DS game.
I have heard that the game is fun, but tbh it might be the second thing I will buy. First being Pokemon. I do love me some pokemon.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is great! Even if you don't like SRPGs, the game is worth playing for its great story and characters alone. Plus, the art for this game is amazing! The box art alone is worth $40, haha.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is also a good one. It doesn't have the polish and charm that Fire Emblem: Awakening does, but its setting is very unique compared to other JRPGs; it's a post-apocalyptic world full of demons! Plus, it has Pokemon-like elements in that you can recruit demons on your side to fight for you, so that might be of interest to you.

Do you guys know any good ones? I think Bravely Default is good, but I don't know. Also how do you usually play RPGs?

hahahahhahahha. HA!

It is a great half of a game. After that.... not so much.

Depends on what kind of JRPG you are looking for. There are tons, but they range from super niche (Project X Zone) to your standard and normal (Fire Emblem). It all depends on what you are in the mood for and what you want.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Animal Crossing! It's a more 'relaxed' game, but it's still fun. Of course, there's Pokemon, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy...there's a lot. I haven't played a lot of RPGs, but if you like customizing characters and world-building, then Animal Crossings: New Leaf might be a good RPG for you. However, it depends on what you're interested in.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Animal Crossing! It's a more 'relaxed' game, but it's still fun. Of course, there's Pokemon, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy...there's a lot. I haven't played a lot of RPGs, but if you like customizing characters and world-building, then Animal Crossings: New Leaf might be a good RPG for you. However, it depends on what you're interested in.
I've tried New Leaf before. I kinda got bored of it. All though it was my first Animal Crossing game, I never knew how to make my town better.

I actually wasn't at all fond of Awakening. I found it a bit easy, and more than that, I was disappointed at how short the story was. The characters seemed so cookie-cutter, too. Here's the yandere, here's the loli, here's the cute little sister, bookish chick, greedy chick, and so on. Every character seemed as if they could be summed up in a few words and I didn't feel that was a good thing.

I will grant, however, that a good JRPG on the DS or 3DS is hard to find. I mostly prefer the likes of Etrian Odyssey. I'm not sure if it would be classed as an RPG , but whatever it is it's a fantastic series.

I've tried New Leaf before. I kinda got bored of it. All though it was my first Animal Crossing game, I never knew how to make my town better.
Well, different strokes for different folks. I hoped my suggestions helped you out, though.

I actually wasn't at all fond of Awakening. I found it a bit easy, and more than that, I was disappointed at how short the story was. The characters seemed so cookie-cutter, too. Here's the yandere, here's the loli, here's the cute little sister, bookish chick, greedy chick, and so on. Every character seemed as if they could be summed up in a few words and I didn't feel that was a good thing.

I will grant, however, that a good JRPG on the DS or 3DS is hard to find. I mostly prefer the likes of Etrian Odyssey. I'm not sure if it would be classed as an RPG , but whatever it is it's a fantastic series.

That is a classic rouge-like. You want more shit like that you go right to Shiren and Izuna the unemployed ninja. You get into that stuff and you and I can have some really long and nerdy conversations about insanely hard and rewarding games.

The couple RPG's that I've played were all quite a positive experience. Two have already been mentioned, but there is another one I've played that I think you might like.

Fire Emblem Awakening was definitely a great game in my opinion. I invested over 100 hours in it training up all of my characters how I wanted them, changing classes all the time to build the strongest army I could. Losing one of your team members is definitely crushing, I found myself resetting repeatedly after losing good characters. Obviously you can turn that option off though, which is definitely what I'd reccommend you do if you are new to the series.

Bravely default was great for the first 4 chapters, as has already been said, then it became aa chore just to get to the end. It felt a bit lazy to have the game repeat itself like that, but even then, all of the jobs, the characters, the dialogue, the story, all of it was enough to justify playing it again for me.

The other one I've started playing recently is Fantasy Life. It's like a mix between Dragon Quest and Animal Crossing. You have Twelve different lives to choose from, and you can change it as often as you like. You can become a miner, mine some shiny stones, then change to a blacksmith, make an epic sword, then change to paladin, equip the sword and slay a dragon! The story itself is basically just a playthrough of text, you'll find yourself reading a lot, but it's strong, fun dialogue, so it won't get boring too quickly, and even if it does, you won't really miss anything by skipping past it. By far the best part of the game though is the fact that you can visit eachothers worlds online. This is groundbreaking in my opinion. I've just recently completed the storyline, and my friend and I meet up every other day or so to join eachothers world and go boss hunting, which is really fun.

Damnit. I want Fantasy Life too...

New Tales just came out for the Vita. Too bad it is a Gamestop exclusive.

Valkyria Chronicles came out this week on steam. If you havent' played it it is worth every penny. Hopefully it gets full steamworks support (probably not) and we can get some custom maps up in there.

Harvest Moon is one of the biggest titles of the console, surprised that is hasn't been mentioned yet. It's pretty unique since it doesn't focus on combat like so many titles.

Harvest Moon is one of the biggest titles of the console, surprised that is hasn't been mentioned yet. It's pretty unique since it doesn't focus on combat like so many titles.
Isn't that a game that all you do is harvest plants or something like that? I haven't heard about the game since the GBA version.

Isn't that a game that all you do is harvest plants or something like that? I haven't heard about the game since the GBA version.

Harvest Moon is a long running series that first appeared on the SNES. It is a light farming simulator with RPG and dating game elements to it. Each of the titles can differ more than one Final Fantasy to the next, almost to the point of being unrecognizable. Normally they throw some kind of overarching story at you that must be solved before "X" amount of years have passed. Normally the upgrades to the farm itself are entirely more noticeable than the player character as you simply improve how much you can do in any given day little by little and the farm can suddenly have a new building with animals living in it.

I should probably point out that I own all of the harvest moon games.

Disgaea, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy IV.. there are a hoard of good games for the DS. If Harvest Moon doesn't quite get it for you, try Rune Factory. All the farming and romance, plus monster raising and fighting.

While alot of people may not know about this title, I find the game Lock's Quest pretty fun. It offers a build and fight mechanic, where you set up your defense with the allowed units provided every match by placing walls, gates, and turrets before being bombarded with waves of Clockwork soldiers. Its a fairly long game as well.

Nice WGoK avatar JayWifi.

I could never get into Lock's Quest. People kept pushing it but I never saw the appeal. "It gets better later," just doesn't hold the same weight it used to for me.

I've been looking for something that plays almost like an MMO and haven't found it yet. The closest thing that I've encountered has been Monster Hunter, and I still feel it's lacking a little bit. I seem to get tired of the grind after a while and wish for some meat. I also have nearly beaten Bravely Default, and although it's not at all MMO styling, I do like the Final Fantasy feel it gives. I suppose I shouldn't expect any different considering the developer.