A Funny Story About DS Lite

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
Hi, my name is Basil (Je m'appelle Basil, ich heisse Basil) and I have a funny story about DS Lite.

I decided to get a DS Lite on the launch date, but couldn't find one (all the local shops were sold out). My fiancee laughed at how dejected I was feeling, as her opinion of video games is that they are seldom fun (but some are) and never important in any way. I managed to find one the next day, and, as is my wont, have been talking excitedly about it with her since then. Her response is normally to roll her eyes. She even complains to her girlfriends at work about it.

Yesterday, I took my DS Lite to her apartment to show her what I was fussing about. She opened the protective case, saw it, and her face lit up. She opened it, saw the simple, attractive screen and control layout, looked at me and said, "I want one."

Not five minutes later, we were in the car heading for the nearest Walmart. They had just gotten a shipment that day and I bought her a DS Lite and a copy of Nintendogs (Lab). When we got home she fired it up and I had a hard time pulling her away from it to show her some of the features she hadn't discovered yet. The shoe was on the other foot. Who's the obsessed one now?

She took it to work this morning, and had to face her friends. The result, within minutes, they were all raving about the cool look of the system and the cute puppy. They all want one too. (One of the friends is a 50 or 60 something Scottish woman, the other is a 30 something mother of two.) Nintendo definitely has succeeded in appealng to the non-gamer market with DS Lite.

It is worth noting that all of the above-mentioned people have iPods. Nintendo's best move was to only release the Polar White edition of DS Lite in the Americas.

spudlyff8fan said:
He's in Canada. They don't like people who speak spanish!
Haha. Not true! Although we don't get too many of them here. We get mostly Asians, Europeans and Africans, very few S./C. Americans. It's easier for them to just go to the States.

Mi nombre es Basil. Is that how it would go?

I think the white case is so attractive because it's so different from what we are used to in electronics. Black and silver with a zillion and one buttons. That design has been tied to a stigma of intimidating and/or geeky pieces of hardware. The white case, and the minimalistic user interface (employed first by Apple, as was noted) totally subverts that stigma. Plus, the shiny white has a soft look to it, it almost looks like if you touched it your finger would push in a quarter of an inch (marshmallowy, cloudy, ice cream, etc.) Extremely attractive to tactile probing -- people want to pick up these little white things and hold on to them. They look comfortable, and so we feel comfortable with them.

OMG, I can use high school spanish for something!!

Correction: Me llamo Basil. :sombrero:

But my high school was a shade I like to call "sensory-deprivation white," and we all know how enjoyable school is. So I guess it only works for technology/products.

I guess it could kind of explain why I hate Apple, but still have an iPod XD

Here's a funny story: I imported mine 2 months ago, and have been playing it since. Didn't wait in any lines ;)

it's not worth it IF you already own a ds. I suggest that you wait until the price drops then get a 2nd DS. I can't believe I wasted $150 on the old ds with a demo (not with a game, but with a demo). I'm getting my DS Lite later.

Friends of mine are considering getting the DS lite even though they have a DS. Their argument is partly that they play with other people enough, and it means extra controllers or whatever for DS integrated games on the Wii.

I think the other colours for the DS lite had manufacturing problems. I'm also surprised how quickly people are to pick up the black ipods or the black DSs, considering they are electronic devices that should NOT be subjected to potential heat problems, and the colour black absorbs more light / heat than other colours.

You crazy engineers, always thinking about function over form!

Most people wouldn't even THINK about that! I wouldn't have, (but I will now), and a salesperson in a store certainly isn't going to mention it. By the way, Apple has made their black MacBook cost about $500 more than their white one. I wonder why?

It's the extra paint they use to make it black. I don't think the colour is part of the casing. I think it's white and they apply a black colour.