Advice and Favourite DS games?

Serenity Fay

Registered
Dec 17, 2014
So as of late I'm getting really into DS games again. I didn't have that many back when I bought my DS so I still have a lot of good stuff to discover. So, since 3ds games are so expensive, I'm looking to try out any good DS games I've missed until my finances can support more expensive games XD What would you guys say are the best titles available for the DS? I'm already familiar with Warioware, Castlevania, LoZ and Rune Factory :)

The graphical capabilities we're really limited so there isn't a whole lot of good looking games in 3-D so I'll mainly list 2-D ones:

Pokémon Diamond or Pearl - Played the shit out of that one, sadly couldn't port my pokemon from that game to my save on Pokemon X now.

Any of the Professor Layton Games - Really fun puzzle games with a great story and good looking art-style.

Scribblenauts - For occasional fun, clever concept.

Mario Kart - If you can find any friends that still have it and play with them then it's great, if not then I don't recommend getting it.

Animal Crossing - Really cozy and homely atmosphere, for the times you need to escape from reality a little.

Pokémon HeartGold or SoulSilver - Relived one of my childhood games with that one, good if you played the old one and even if you didn't.

Have fun!

There are some great games on original DS and most Gamestops now basically have a clearance bin of them just sitting on the front check out counter. In fact, last week they had a B2G1 free sale so you might want to check that out.

If you can find them, check out Meteos (a great puzzle game) or Tetris DS, FFIII or FFIV, either of the Zelda's, and even quirky off shoots like Metroid Prime Pinball or Star Fox Command. The Advance Wars games are good good.

I would say Pokemon Heart Gold or Soul Silver for the DS. I remember enjoying the differences between this game and it's original; except for the taking away of anything good in the GoldenRod game corner for the U.S release. Another good game would probably be some of the Phoenix Wright games if you are into those. Lastly, there's always Digimon World Dawn and Digimon World Dusk; however, to be any good at the game, expect to do a lot of level grinding.

Fantasy Life is great, but its a recent release. There are always the classics, like Chrono Trigger. There was also A Link Between Worlds and The World Ends With You. The World Ends With You is not a 3ds game, its just a normal DS game but its great. I would highly recommend it.

If you like Rune Factory games, I'd suggest Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands. If you do like games with good puzzles I'm going to second the Professor Layton game suggestions, and if you like puzzle games with stories the Phoneix Wright games are amazing. Elite Beat Agents is a dirt cheap rythm game that is amazing as well that I highly suggest.

A couple of lesser known games if these are familiar to you to recommend, starting with more action orintated ones is Monster Tale and Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ. Monster Tale is kind of like if Megaman and Pokemon had a baby, it plays like Megaman but you have a pet that you need to take care of during the adventure. Zombie BBQ is a zombie killing shooter that is reminiscent of Super Smash TV where you're just gunning down waves of zombies and it's a lot of fun.

Last two I'm going to throw out there is Ivy The Kiwi? which is sort of a... platforming puzzle game? It's an interesting little game where you lead a bird to an end goal while collecting things along the way. I wouldn't call it amazing, but it's cheap and a great little time waster. Infinite Space is the last I want to throw out there, which is a space simulator that I think is criminally underrated and one of the most interesting RPG-like games I know. It's definitely not for everyone, but it allows a crazy amount of customization for your crew, ship, and way you decide to play and explore. This particular one is definitely not all that cheap but worth checking out if it looks up your alley.

My absolute favorite on the DS is The World Ends With You. It has great plot, an absolutely fantastic soundtrack, and a decent style of gameplay. The old Animal Crossing game for the DS is great, too. I haven't played it as much as I have played Animal Crossing: New Leaf, but since they're almost the same I can say that the old game will be a fantastic play. It's not an action game; it's more like a slice-of-life game, but it's really charming and relaxing to play after a long day.