Awesome free software mega thread

techbeast34

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
I'd like to make a megathread for some really good free software. I have a couple to recommend.
1st: Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/)
pdn40_kirkland_thumb.jpg

A really powerful, photo editor. Supports plugins that can add functionality like the ability to open up and save .psd files.

2nd: Blender (blender.org)
screenshot-dragon-sculpt-300x183.png

A really good 3D animation/sculpting program. Takes some getting used to, but really powerful nonetheless. Supports plugins

Add some more down below!

I will check out the paint editor. Is it easier to use than Adobe Photoshop ? I was lost with that program. And the manual was hundreds of pages long and even made things more confusing.

I will check out the paint editor. Is it easier to use than Adobe Photoshop ? I was lost with that program. And the manual was hundreds of pages long and even made things more confusing.

Paint.Net is awesome and pretty much paint for windows with a ton of features added. When I have to write up an article for work and edit an image quickly it is always the one that I use (if I need to fuck around with layers I always go back to Photoshop). It isn't a "heavy lifter" but if you aren't sure what you are doing in Photoshop it is totally for you.

You can go a little more powerful and get Gimp. There are enough plugins out there that you can basically make it Photoshop, but at that point it is way more confusing. Also it is not nearly as easy to use as Paint.net

There was a freeware pixel art program that I used a handful of times. It was sort of a pain in the ass as it constantly wanted to make shit animated and I just wanted to draw a 16-bit figure of a friend with a penis for a head. Making it move seemed like work.