Is Warlords of Draenor worth buying at full price?

GlacialDoom

Registered
Nov 22, 2014
Oradea, Romania
First of all, I've heard many good things about the expansion itself (ignoring the connectivity issues, those happen at each expansion launch), but I don't know for sure whether or not this expansion pack is worth its money.

I haven't played WoW in a few months (not on retail, at least), and I think I'm gonna come back.

I am thinking of buying it for Christmas, after my exams are done, but should I get it at full price or should I wait until a sale/price drop? Could someone who owns the expansion write a review on it?

Thanks for the link. That's a pretty decent review overall, not just hype and fluff.

Personally, I will probably wait until WoD goes on sale. This is the first time I haven't been excited about a new expansion. The others, I hit the ground running, but this one, I can wait. Most of my friends have quit playing so I have no reason to hurry.. no raid spot, no RBG spot, to rush to fill. The game just isn't as much fun for me if I'm not doing group content. I could look for another guild, team, etc. but meh.

I pre-ordered mine because I knew I wanted to play it right away. So far I'm not disappointed. :)

I've said this before but the garrisons are what really make this expansion for me. They add a fun new element to the game. I also like the story line so far as well, and how they are tying together a larger story about the Horde over arching multiple expansions. It's the lore that keeps me coming back and the new content and gameplay options help me stick around.

I'm gonna drop money on it. Right now with the 10th anniversary going on, I don't want to miss out on the mount. Also by the time next year rolls around the prices will probably only drop by 10 bucks. WoD is the expansion I was waiting for. MoP just didn't appeal to me in any form or fashion. It was the expansion that should have been released years ago when there was high popularity calling for it.

Last edited:
I'm gonna drop money on it. Right now with the 16th anniversary going on, I don't want to miss out on the mount. Also by the time next year rolls around the prices will probably only drop by 10 bucks. WoD is the expansion I was waiting for. MoP just didn't appeal to me in any form or fashion. It was the expansion that should have been released years ago when there was high popularity calling for it.
Actually it's the 10th anniversary, not the 16th. I'd love the mount but I haven't had enough time to play. I tried the Tarren Mill vs. Southshore once and that's all I've had time for. I only just hit level 91 (sad, right?).

As far as I saw reviews of the game I think that the game is worth getting at full price, but I'll wait that it'll come on a sale or something like that. I usually wait for games to drop in price a little bit, no matter what game it is.

I was away from Wow for years and came back just for Warlords and I can say I haven't regretted it one bit, this might be the best expansion yet, close with WotLK, the dungeons aren't as good but the leveling is a lot more fun.

Reactions: Zyni and Kleineganz
I was away from Wow for years and came back just for Warlords and I can say I haven't regretted it one bit, this might be the best expansion yet, close with WotLK, the dungeons aren't as good but the leveling is a lot more fun.
That's the thing I noticed too, they really have reduced the amount of "grinding" required for quests and the quests actually have some nice story lines to go with them too. I'm really enjoying the questing, and it all ties in with the new garrison system very well.

How is the endgame raiding in the latest expansion? I've never been too keen on the lore in WoW, and played almost entirely for hardcore raiding and pvp, occasionally dabbling in manipulating the markets on the auction house.

The last I played was in early Cataclysm, and I was beginning to find the raid mechanics a little simple compared to some of the fights found in Ulduar or even ICC.

Reactions: Zyni
Ah yes 10th. Typo'd there haha. They only recently fixed the huge ddos lagfest so I can't say for sure on the raiding. I'm still working on leveling and getting back in touch with old friends and guildmates.

Ah yes 10th. Typo'd there haha. They only recently fixed the huge ddos lagfest so I can't say for sure on the raiding. I'm still working on leveling and getting back in touch with old friends and guildmates.

The community is one of the really nice parts about WoW. Just sitting in your voice chat hanging out with your guildies can be a great way to unwind on the weekends. I remember we used to organize monthly drunken raid nights on our alts. It was always mayhem as we're playing random (often non min-maxed) toons and throwing ourselves at heroics in an attempt to down some bosses. Lots of great memories.

Ah, Ulduar. That hits me right in the nostalgia. We weren't necessarily drunk (though some people were sometimes) but those weekend fun runs outside the regular raid times were the best. So much fun. I have lots of great memories too. Ulduar was one of my favorite raids. Triggering the hardmodes, instead of just flipping a switch from normal to heroic, was brilliant.

Time consuming though - man, that place took forever to clear. I absolutely hated the first portion. I also recall wiping for weeks on end trying to get the Firefighter achievement, and 0 lights. I think that was probably my favourite raid in Wrath, for sure.

Drunk raiding is the best kind of raiding. Especially after 3 wipes on a boss.

I heard that trying to get the Core Hound mount right now is a pain because MC level 100 is 3 hours long and LFR people are horrible about kicking people out a lot...That being said back to leveling...

I think it is by far the best expansion to date, and is worth buying. However, it is hard to rate expansions overall because most of what we remember of the older expansion are the final raids. The questing/leveling part of WOD is far above any other expansion. The addition of the rare spawn and optional quests makes it much more dynamic than ever before.

The problem I have with leveling and quest content is that it gets old rather quickly. You can only play through the quests so many times before you've seen all the quest hubs and have done them multiple times. This is especially true of people with multiple alts. After the initial leveling grind, it really becomes a moot point whether or not the questing is good.

End-game content is where the expansion needs to shine.

Speaking of Ulduar, have you guys tried going back and doing all the hard modes now that you are 100?
It's funny how easy it is, but I still can't do Yogg-Saron with 0 keepers, since he keeps beating me due to the sanity mechanic...

Speaking of Ulduar, have you guys tried going back and doing all the hard modes now that you are 100?
It's funny how easy it is, but I still can't do Yogg-Saron with 0 keepers, since he keeps beating me due to the sanity mechanic...

I got my Iron-Bound and Rusted Protodrakes after my guild cleared ICC hardmodes and finished 0 lights some time soon after that. It was a lot of fun at 80. Some of the parts were made far too easy in ICC HM gear, but there were still some issues with the mechanics when not executed properly. I can only imagine how simple it would be at 100 now, unless they retuned the instance for higher leveled raiders.

I got my Iron-Bound and Rusted Protodrakes after my guild cleared ICC hardmodes and finished 0 lights some time soon after that. It was a lot of fun at 80. Some of the parts were made far too easy in ICC HM gear, but there were still some issues with the mechanics when not executed properly. I can only imagine how simple it would be at 100 now, unless they retuned the instance for higher leveled raiders.

You should try going back by yourself.
Soloing raids is a lot of fun, when if you do insane amounts of damage.
It's fun to discover ways to bypass mechanics that were built to work with many players and do it all by yourself.