game piracy, agree or disagree

thedude

Registered
Mar 13, 2016
Do you think it's ethical to pirate games? I know I have pirated games to try out the single player, then buy the game if I want the multiplayer. However some games are only multiplayer. I do think its not the most moral thing to do, but its very tempting. Another problem is worrying about a virus you could get from pirated games.

It is illegal and it doesn't help the game companies as they lose money with every person that doesn't buy the game because of pirated copies of a game.

With that being said, it is bad for the industry to have pirated games. It's the reason why the Sega Dreamcast took a early death. Once they cracked the games, it was straight to an early grave.

I think the main problem of piracy is the loss of quality. When companies are producing a game, they probably expect a certain number of people to buy it, so they spend a certain amount of money, as the number grows, the budget grows as well. If there was no piracy, the would be more people buying, and the game's quality would be better.

Well first off, I think people who pirate games on the regular, wouldn't be buying them in the first place. Back before I got to a point where I was making decent money, I would constantly pirate but nowadays I don't even have to consider it as an option. Secondly there are A LOT of older games that wouldn't exist today if they hadn't been pirated. Take the original Super Mario Bros. for example (and I didn't even know about this one till the last MyGamer video on YouTube). The version you buy from the Nintendo eShop is a rom that Nintendo pulled off a website. If not for piracy it would be gone, so I don't see piracy as this great evil that must be stopped. It's definitely a weird grey area so I'm neither going to condemn or praise it.

I think the main problem of piracy is the loss of quality. When companies are producing a game, they probably expect a certain number of people to buy it, so they spend a certain amount of money, as the number grows, the budget grows as well. If there was no piracy, the would be more people buying, and the game's quality would be better.
I don't think developers take this properly into consideration anymore really. The thing with your argument is that I don't think developers will spend less because they think people will pirate the game, if they spend less then the game's quality will be awful and then people that want to buy the game just won't buy the game. People aren't going to pirate a bad game anyway. So developers will always be trying to make as good a game as they can, I don't think they actively reduce their budget because of piracy.

I don't agree with piracy at all. If you can't afford the game/don't want to pay for it then don't play it at all.

With regards to piracy, it sounds too good to be true. You are going to get a game for free. You are going to enjoy without bringing out any amount of penny. However, there is no such thing as free today. Your security is at stake when you are into game piracy.

When you download a free game, for example in torrent sites, most of the files being downloaded there contain viruses. Aside from that, through your IP address, they will be able to get your information your location or worse, your personal information.

Another reason why I am not into piracy is that it is against the law. Well I am a productive and good citizen in our country though. But the fact that you exerted too much effort in making a game, which is really difficult, and in the end, your game ended up being pirated, what kind of a game developer who is going to agree about their efforts being wasted? What kind of a programmer who is going to be okay about not earning something from their hardwork?

This may be a controversial opinion, but I personally feel that the morality of pirating a video game is entirely dependent on the ethical conduct of the developer/publisher from which said game is being pirated. This isn't to say that stealing is ever morally sound behavior, but I think that it comes on a spectrum.

For example, pirating a game from an honest indie developer who put hundreds of hours of time and effort into a project, and was nothing but perceptive and loyal to their fandom, is an awful thing to do. Those people deserve the money they receive, and their hard work needs to be rewarded and encouraged.

However, then you have cases such as those of Electronic Arts and their shifty business tactics. I think anyone would agree that manipulative, shady, and downright lazy video game development strategies should not be rewarded or encouraged--lest they get out of hand in the way they already have--and therefore, pirating a game from such a developer, in my opinion, comes with far less severe moral repercussions.

I don't think it's right, but I like that it exists as an option, because without it all the power goes to the development companies and they may feel more able to kick around their consumer base more than they do at present, which is already a fairly high level despite piracy because they have found the way to make purchasing more appealing. Like I said though, the fact that piracy is around as an option at the very least will keep them on their toes as if they do enough to frustrate majority of the customer base they will at least have the option to turn back to piracy. I myself prefer to just purchase other games from better developers when this happens though because then at least you get to vote with your money and show that those who do things right are able to get a profit without being scummy.

How can game developers continue producing quality games if we let others earn money from their work? Let us support these people who devoted their lives into making great games for us gamers. Piracy will be stopped if there's no one patronizing it. Let us support the industry of gaming by just buying from the authorized dealer and re-seller.

Do you think it's ethical to pirate games? I know I have pirated games to try out the single player, then buy the game if I want the multiplayer. However some games are only multiplayer. I do think its not the most moral thing to do, but its very tempting. Another problem is worrying about a virus you could get from pirated games.

I don't think it is nice for anyone to play pirated games. I have always played games the way they come for that is the only way that I get to needed motivation to remain resolute to win some of the challenges.

Of course it is unethical because it is illegal. Piracy is a pain in the ass on lots of game developer so please don't buy some pirate games. Support game developers as much as possible because they are the ones who is responsible with the games you play. They cannot do another game if you continue to buy pirate games. They will not have the enough profit to produce another one.

I can understand the reasons for piracy, but if you really love the game, support the developers and buy it, especially indie ones. Although companies that overprice their games or release games that aren't full and require you to pay DLCs containing most of the game are just scum and deserved to be pirated or boycotted just so that they can see the errors of their ways.

One thing that I have come to know about life and understand is that there are always going to be people who are still going to want to ruin other people's business efforts. Piracy in games will keep on happening even with all the rules and laws against it, they will still be looking for other viable alternatives to pirate games.

I'm really not in favor of people pirating games but when it comes to using or playing free pirated games I think most if not all gamers have played pirated games.

honestly game piracy kills gaming companies, because the only way that the gaming industry will be alive is through the money involving it, no money no games that can be made, that is the only logical reason.
while on the gamer's side, there are some games that are unreasonably expensive just for their game, yes it worth be the greatest game but would it really be worth the price? that is why some gaming are still leeching ang waiting for the pirated copy of the game.

Disagree, because the game spent their times creating tha game and we will just pirate it, if we will be in their situation of course we don't want that to happen, so just buy it and just dont pirate it and find another game.

Piracy is a way of killing any business or company. Pirating video games could eventually make the company or developers suffer losses and become frustrated because they are making little or no profit from their labour. I wonder how those who pirate would feel if it was done to them. Everyone is in one business or the other to make profits so why would you want to reap where you didn't sow by pirating other people's work. I strongly feel it's morally wrong.

This topic is a very complicated one in my opinion. The basic reason most people pirate is that they cannot afford the game in the first place. I don't know the actual effect it has on big gaming companies, but the ones most likely to suffer are Indie developers, as they cannot afford the high protection costs.
Personaly, I think it is too much of a hassle and you will most likely not get the best version of the game.Games frequently update so the pirated version is likely to outdated.
I also think that gaming companies also cause people to pirate by making them so hard to get or use(DRMs).