Most Favorite Open-World Game?

My favorite open world games would have to be the whole GTA Series. I have loved all the games and wish every game was made just like them. I love the maps and the open world adventure concept of it. I hate games where you have to follow specific guidelines and can't roam freely around.
Which of the GTA games is your favorite? I know picking just one is difficult but this is always a fun question to ask as everyone has a different answer. I answered up thread but my favorite is San Andreas, closely followed by Vice City.

The original Elder Scrolls, Arena. It was HUGE. Like if you wanted to run from one city to another close by, it was hours. You also had access to the continent, instead of individual provinces like the later games. The RNG maps and quests provided some great gear too. The xp scaling was exponential, so getting past levels 14-15 was time consuming. It was very hard to over level things in that game, unlike Skyrim and Marrowwind.

It all depends on the console for me when it comes to open world. For PCs, I can't help but think Warcraft has the best in that regards. As for Playsation 2 games, I'd have to go with the world of Okage. It might not be the biggest of open worlds but I do find it to be one of the most creative.

This might be putting on the rose-tinted glasses, but for me, TES IV: Oblivion would be the game I'd pick. It was the first quote unquote 'Free will, open world do-whatever-you-want game' I'd ever seen, and I fell in love with it instantly. I remember finishing every side quest in every city and running around looking for ANYTHING that could possibly lead to a secret area. And when that failed, there was always a countless amount of mods available on the internet. I'll never forget that feeling of stepping out from the sewer tutorial, to see the WHOLE OF TAMRIEL spread out in front me.

'I can go....anywhere?'

Gosh. Come to think of it, I think I still have that disk somewhere...

Usually I don't like open world games too much because there isn't much meaningful content to be found most of the time, that's why my favorite is New Vegas. Everywhere you go you'll find something curious going on and spend the next hour figuring out what's going on.

I love New Vegas especially for it's story-driven sidequests and great narritve, all coupled with convicing voice acting. I don't care much for realistic gunplay, in fact, I play these kinds of games on the easiest difficulty just so I can enjoy the plot more instead of fighting bullet sponges all the time.

GTA Vice City, without a doubt. One of my favourite games of all time. The atmosphere, the characters and the story, just made the game almost perfect. That one mission with the RC helicopter will haunt me till the end of my life.

I haven't played many open world games, but my favorite would have to be the GTA series. I love how the missions are unique and not too repetitive, unlike Far Cry(shoot, kill, unlock towers). As silly as it sounds, it's just a lot of fun trying my best not to drive like a maniac. I also like the very realistic setting and how there aren't any limits to the map.

Anything to do with Elder Scrolls or Fallout universes is a must, purely because of the modding community! Bethesda puts out some really awesome open-world games but the fan base really steps it up in creating new content. I think I've spent thousands of hours of game time on those two franchises alone.

Haven't had a chance to try any GTA games, but with all the recommendations here I'll definitely give it a shot!

My favorite open world games of all time have definitely got to be the games in the Grand Theft Auto series. I have yet to play another game that entertains me as much as the Grand Theft Auto games do.

I see the points made regarding Grand Theft Auto as a great open world game. There are many side jobs that can be done for fun on the side, as opposed to following the story line of the game as quickly as possible. That being said, Skyrim seems like it is more open-ended, with more possibilities and outcomes. It seems like you could play Skyrim ten different times each with completely different series of events.

Definitely GTA V/Online. Singleplayer has far more content and you don't have to grind as much, but it's great having the GTA V experience with friends. There is just so much detail, you always discover something new whilst you play.

Saints Row 4 where you can do what you want and just earn cash by hitting the civilian people or hitting the cops in the roads while driving a car and seemed like a real life like game in some parts of the game, and enjoyed how the graphics were amazing and the map of the area was huge. I liked how you can travel just about anywhere in the game and can drive different vehicles and hit other ones and start a war between yourself and the cops, while fighting other people or running away from a boss and turning it into a war zone. The world the game is in is big and you can go to different areas and different to the Vice City game which has areas locked and can't access them until you have gone further in the game.

I'd have to go with Skyrim even though I haven't finished playing it yet. I love how huge it is and there's just so much stuff to do. I haven't played in a while because of how busy I've been but I'm hoping that the next time i get some free time, I'll be able to put a greater dent in it!

Ugh, all these people mentioned Red Dead, Far Cry, GTA, etc. all makes me want to get a console and start playing haha! It is kind of restricted open world play but I think Dragon Age is worth at least a mention. It is kind of like Skyrim in terms of RPG but lacks the same amount of open world content.

I'm not really into RPG's like Fallout and Skyrim but I definitely see their appeal. Personally I just love everything about the GTA series. I feel like Rockstar really gets it on the fun factor wrapped in great stories and characters. My favorite would go to GTA V which probably everyone and their mom has played at this point. Super fun, very immersive, and also kinda touching and hilarious at the same time. It's my ideal video game. Sort of go anywhere, do anything (or as close to that as possible at least). I love crime stories in general so to be able to play through an extremely well written one was great. The three leads were actually great which I was a bit wary of at first to be honest. And I couldn't get enough of the heists!

Now as an honorable mention though, Vice City. That game was damn near perfect in its prime and I could still play today and be entertained. Fond memories of playing that at an age when I probably shouldn't have lol. Another honorable mention: Spider-man 2

When people say open world games people would definitely say that GTA is the best, and I do agree to some degree, but my favorite would be Fallout. The world around it is great and the gameplay is also great. People complain about the graphics, but to me that's what made it my favorite. It's not really heavy, so even my old laptop can play it.

Fallout 4 and GTA 5. They are very engaging. Unfortunately, only the latter has a multiplayer. Believe it or not, playing with/against the PC gets way too boring sometimes.

Games like oblivion are the only ones that can be considered real open world games. With that said, I don't really like open world games. I like to know where I have to go and what I have to do without having to explore to find out. I like games like infamous but that's not a real open world.