Have you ever hacked/cheated in a game?

There used to be this Gameshark for PS1 that let you pause the game and watch over variables to see if anything changed. That way, you could figure out where in the code you can do things like get unlimited lives. Beyond that, I used to play with the NES Game Genie to try and make games weirder, like altering the gravity in Mario. Nowadays I don't bother, I have barely enough time to play as it is!

Of course, I have already cheated in a game. Who never did that, anyway? I think we're all guilty of such a thing. :p I have used some cheat when I played Candy Crush and Temple Run before.

Cheating? Not beyond exploiting glitches and codes built into the game (like MegaMan's pausing trick with the electric beam and the cut blades or Contra's Konami code for extra lives) or liberal use of an emulator's save states in particularly difficult games. And even then, I would usually go back later on to regain my honour and see if I could beat the part in question without such aides! I didn't even own a GameShark, or a special controller with turbo buttons, etc, back in the day!

Every gamer has, I mean, during the golden days of NES, the Konami Code (the immortal up-up-down-down-left-left right code) was already there. Paving the way for gamers everywhere to tweak the capabilities of their characters in order to get passed the game or a stage. It was because of "goodies" like these, that levelled the playing field for both novice and expert gamers. I did use them, and if I was any good as a gamer... I'll certainly learn more and use it (sometimes).

Well, obviously! GTA IV, how could I not enter cheats and start a war with the police. But seriously, I never cheat in Online; I don't want to ruin the experience for other players. I do cheat in Singleplayer, usually just to make it more entertaining.

The only game I've ever cheated in was Age of Empires, but I don't regret a thing as I'm 100% sure that the computer also cheated. I did however get banned from another game for cheating, even though I didn't which is really frustrating, but it is what it is.

When I'm playing a game for the first time, I won't use any cheats or mods. I like getting the original feel and story of the game. However, when I'm replaying a video game, I'll usually install a bunch of mods. I know when I first played Dragon Age: Origins, I loved the story but I hated the combat. When I was replaying it, I decided to get a mod that let me skip fights. I still did some of the more enjoyable fights (aka most of the bosses) but the random encounters, I'd just skip over. I also might get a mod to improve graphics and dialogue but that doesn't really count as cheating :p

I have used a ton of Action Replay codes for the DS Pokemon games. It was Pokemon Pearl where I completed my pokedex with action replay codes. Some Pokemon were only even exclusive so it was necessary to do it. I had ton of fun doing it. Though i didn't cheat on 3ds.

I never have hacked, but I have slightly exploited in game bugs that developers never bothered fixing. There was a fishing event in my main MMO, and you got 100 rods to try and get 100 pouches. Well, some of my guildies found a glitch, where if you started fishing, but then entered a duel, it would stop using up your rods, but still letting you get pouches. So you could get 600 pouches, on using 1 rod. It was pretty sweet, and let my get items that I wanted/needed.

Mostly the oldie gameshark and that's it, I'm actually a saint :p
Online I never did it though!

I haven't actually. I've made many mods for games before, but never actually for cheating or malicious purposes. I'm not sure why I never did, just never came up I suppose. I usually just preferred the sandbox type multiplayer games such as GrandTheftAuto anyway, so not much cheating could really be done.

Yep, though I believed it's not the way I'm supposed to play. Was never happy about that. If we talk about the particular games, the first thing that comes to my mind is GTA San Andreas and its long list of cheat codes.

I just assume that everyone has, and so the answer for me is clearly yes. I always try to beat the game first and all of that, but when it is all said and done you have to go through and see if there are any codes or anything like that. The ones that always come to mind for me are the helicopters and things like that on GTA or the classic "on fire" in NBA Jam.

Heck yes! I've done it so many times. I discovered bugs and exploits in a ton of online games, explored zones that were almost entirely unknown by mass communities, found islands in WoW that got me banned from the forums, got put in GM jail in FFXI for "accidentally" duping an item when item duping was considered impossible...the list goes on...

Oh boy I've done this a lot. Of course my earliest experience with game cheating is GTA Vice City. I've used trainers quite a few times because I got fed up with repeating the same level over and over and over again. I've also used cheatcodes to plow through all the endings of Fallout:New Vegas, most of the time I just use the god mode cheat.

I haven't but I've tried in the stupidest way ever: I remember playing StarCraft: Brood War over dial-up back in 1999, my nine-year-old self getting eaten alive, until I finally panicked and typed "power overwhelming" and "show me the money" into the game chat. Of course, absolutely everyone laughed their asses off at me.

Oh, and it didn't work, btw.

I'm a regular visitor at Nexusmods and if the game is on there I'll mod the crap out of it. I don't often seek out mods from other sites although I will if there is an issue that prevents me from enjoying the game. I've never took the leap to modding consoles though. Way too much work.

787899 then press # for you to fly in the air and 787898 for invincibility. Here are some of the cheat codes I used in playing Bounce back then. Yes I cheated in a game. What drove me to cheating is that it is really hard to complete the latter stages of the game. It was to the point where you need to try all over again which annoyed me. I wanted to see more of the game the reason why I used the codes. I wanted to see the setting, the obstacles I must have faced in the last stage

Game cheating is my childhood :D

Our father bought us our first issue of "Tips and Tricks" video game magazine as an alternative to our butts stuck in front of the console. Back then, we were not frequent or comfortable with "the internet", so we used it as guide of what to buy next, making the game guides/walkthroughs our bedtime stories, getting curious like "what does this cheat/unlockable look like" because some of them are even references to another game etc.

At school, our friends would then be talking about a particular game (mostly PS1) saying "when you encounter XYZ use this then that he's really tough", we'll be replying "..but you can use invulnerability when you press --"

"THAT's NOT FAIR!!!"

That's what they say, until we go to their houses and play with the cheats on. Missed those guys :D

Then came GameShark in our lives: The f***er of properly-running games

Those were fun, but yeah, MMO cheaters are not. We're just talented humans, you know? Not bots :'(