As a PC gamer, what is your opinion on controllers?

Ever since I bought an Xbox 360 Windows controller, I've been trying to use it for as many games as I can (as long as they aren't multiplayer first person shooters; those are HORRIBLE with controllers). Lately, I've been using it for Grand Theft Auto V, Metal Gear Solid V (both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain), and Rocket League. I find it way more comfy to play laid back in my chair with a controller than hunched over the keyboard.

Generally for something like 95% of the games on PC- definitely keyboard and mouse. However there are a few exceptions like racing games/simulators of various types where a controller of some sort will offer a more comfortable or realistic experience. Depends on how far said person will go for said experience haha. I've seen people totally mod out their space with various input devices to mimic real cars or mechs.

I don't use a typical controller but I do use a Nostromo game pad for playing World of Warcraft. I get carpal tunnel like symptoms if I try to use the keyboard for skills and spells. I'm also a keyboard mover so I helps to not have both hands on the keyboard during big fights.

I only use my good old keyboard and mouse when playing, but lately, I've been leaning towards wanting to buy a controller for the more "heavy" games. I use my PC for typing documents for work as well, so I'm worried I might end up beating my keyboard up so much it might break!

(If you know of any good controllers I should consider buying, then suggestions would be much appreciated!)
Yeah, I had to stop playing fighting games on my computer since I jammed on of the keys and it took a good while to get it unstuck. Now I stick exclusively to the controller since I don't want to have a repeat of jamming more keys.

I'm an MMO player, so I have to admit that I'm partial to using my keyboard and a mouse. The specialty mouses are pretty awesome, but with WoW I used healbot, so there wasn't much need for a super expensive mouse. Using controllers can be easier for platform games, but once you get used to the keyboard and mouse, it's a lot more convenient.

I like controllers mainly because they enable me to sit comfortable unlike mouse and keyboard. When I have a controller I can sit how I want and where I want (couches are comfortable) and to me that's important when you just want to chill. And then of course when you play games like smash it just enables you to play on a level you never could with keyboard + mouse.

I've been PC gaming for a while, and I'm pretty pathetic with a controller. I can barely use a controller when autoaim is on, but the second give me a keyboard and mouse I'm getting headshots across Long on Dust 2 like nothing. I mostly use my Xbox controller for RPGs like Skyrim and Witcher, since I've noticed the vibration from the controller provides a more immersive experience.

Love them!
There's a bunch of games I wouldn't have ever bought on PC because I always regarded them as "console games"... the sheer thought of playing them with keyboard and mouse turned me away. But having tried out many of them with controller, it feels perfectly natural, so that opened me to a large part of PC games.
Not to mention there's a ton other games that benefit from having the option to play with either setup, although there's also games I'd never think to play with a controller either.

I'm a mouse and keyboard player most of the time, but sometimes controllers come in handy. Like in racing games or sports or even badly ported RPGs that were designed for controllers to begin with.

For multilayer games such as counter-strike controllers are definitely something I would not use, because it takes longer to aim and get accurate shots which gives me a massive disadvantage from other players. On the other hand, recently I have been playing more single player games, most of which had a Xbox controller feature, so I just connected it up and it took me around 5 minutes to setup.

In all honesty, having a controller allows you to free up space, sit back, relax and have a 'simpler' gaming experience. Secondly when my friends are with me I find having a controller to pass round instead of mouse and keyboard much more logical.

My opinion depends. Generally, for racing games or sports games I'm inclined to go with a controller, because let's be honest, it's just better. For pretty much any other kind of game, however, I just have to use KB/M. I just can't stand controllers for aiming guns.

For me I can be great with a controller and I know since I own a PS4. Though, there is something about a mouse and keyboard that is just great for me. It's really weird for me to be completely comfortable with a controller though.

Controllers all the way. So comfortable for the long gaming sessions. Also, damn near every game supports them nowadays, especially xbox 360 controllers. Granted the more complex the game, the more likely it is ill want to use a controller, like playing LOL.

I prefer controllers too. I can't stand the keyboard, because I end up smashing it when I'm frustrated lol

I am totally inept when it comes to a controller. Every game that I play on PC, doesn't matter if it's FIFA, Fallout, or even a racing game I'll always use a keyboard. I've tried many times to adapt myself with a controller but it's just hard for me. I'll always come crawling back to a keyboard.

I have never used a controller for PC games and never intend on doing so. I'd certainly say a controller is easier for games like Grand Theft Auto, but I have gotten used to it on the PC, and it would just feel weird using a Playstation type controller for a game like that on PC.

I'm too used to playing on keyboard, and I'm still pretty bad with the controller. Getting better, but I still prefer the keyboard and mouse in the end. I have it memorized, so I don't have to look down, but I have to look at my controller to figure out a button sometimes. Usually in the few seconds it takes me, my character dies, haha. So yeah, keyboard + mouse all the way. :p

Entirely depends on a game. RTS, FPS or MOBA mouse and keyboard, any other device is just inferior, but for 3rd person stuff, driving or flying controllers help a lot and they might even make the immersion much more complete (driving wheels, flight sticks). And when controllers generally don't really cost that much either, why not just have one?

Personally I use my old PS3 controllers since they're wireless and work over Bluetooth, and with my Mac even without any extra software. What's not to love in that?

I very much prefer the mouse and keyboard when I play, but I'll make a couple exceptions. I'll use a controller for Rocket League and Dark Souls, but that's it so far. Both of those games, in my opinion, are easier to enjoy and play with a controller than keyboard and mouse.