Do you think the next Nintendo system will keep the "Wii" name?

As of right now it is called the Nintendo NX. Not much is known at this point. We believe that it will be released in time for thanks giving. Will they try and challenge. Sony and Microsoft at a pissing contest? Or will they continue to find their own niche and fail again.

I dont think the name will continue. I think they will look for something other than what they have now. It is always good to start fresh and I think the 'Wii' franchise is over. I will look forward to what they have in store for the future!

It has been suggested that the project codenamed Nintendo NX is due for release in early 2016. As to whether or not itll be released with the Wii name I find it hard to say. It looks like they are bringing out something different so a divergence from the name wouldn't be a surprise to me.

Well, it's entirely possible they might keep the 'wii' brand as a way to do a pun. You know, like making a system called the 'wii U 2" that could have something that would make the name of the product itself become a pun in some way or other; like the Xbox 360's name if you really think about it.

Well, it's entirely possible they might keep the 'wii' brand as a way to do a pun. You know, like making a system called the 'wii U 2" that could have something that would make the name of the product itself become a pun in some way or other; like the Xbox 360's name if you really think about it.

That's great news! I think the Wii line is now synonymous with an underpowered console, and I think it's time for Nintendo to get back in the fight with Sony and Microsoft. The Wii was groundbreaking, but I think they are stagnating now.

God I hope not, never liked the Wii name nor adding a U to it for a whole new system. Still remember the E3 they announced the Wii U, laughed for a good minute.

I personally hope they just keep the codename NX.

God I hope not, never liked the Wii name nor adding a U to it for a whole new system. Still remember the E3 they announced the Wii U, laughed for a good minute.

I personally hope they just keep the codename NX.
If it were up to me, I would have named the console, the Nintendo NEX, a nod to its roots (NES) and also to the future (NEX-GEN).

I think they will probably change the name. Before this there was the GameCube and when Nintendo made the Wii they completely disregarded the GameCube name. Of course, it made sense to do so because the Wii is not a cube shape. If the next system looks drastically different from the Wii then they will probably give it a completely new name because it will be a new machine.

The name 'Wii' has been tainted by the Wii U - I'm not saying it was a failure (It wasn't) but the constant battering it's got from the media has definitely made the name less valuable and attractive than it was in 2006. Nintendo are most likely going to have to reinvent themselves console wise for the next generation, and a new name will likely be part of it.

I believe Nintendo's next system in 2016 will not use the Wii branding. They tried to ride the success of the Wii by naming their next system the Wii U and that has backfired for them. Nintendo is going to have to do something different and cheaper than the competition if they want to stay relevant in the games industry. It is possible that the Wii brand could live on through some of Nintendo's mobile games that they are developing for smartphones.

Reactions: dillinger10
I believe Nintendo's next system in 2016 will not use the Wii branding. They tried to ride the success of the Wii by naming their next system the Wii U and that has backfired for them. Nintendo is going to have to do something different and cheaper than the competition if they want to stay relevant in the games industry. It is possible that the Wii brand could live on through some of Nintendo's mobile games that they are developing for smartphones.
It really did backfire in a major way. Sales of the Wii U just barely surpassed 10 million. It took two and a half years for the Wii U to break the 10 million mark, the PS4 did that in just nine months. The Xbox One sold in the region of 13 million in its first 18 months.

The Wii U is Nintendo's slowest selling console of all time, sales are even worse than the GameCube, which got caught in the crossfire of the PS2 and Xbox 360.

No, the next console is not named Nintendo NX, it is only the code named. Every console has its own own name, The Wii was known as Revolution and the WiiU as Project Cafe.
Regarding OP question, no there is no doubt that Nintendo is going for a new beginning. The Wii brand has been tried, tested and now will be buried.

I certainly hope not. As others have said above, it confused older buyers, and considering that Nintendo has a large audience of smaller children (and thus adults purchasing things and surprising their children), it's really not a smart thing to do.

I wonder how many parents just decided to stop buying Nintendo products because they got confused.