What irritates you the most about other players?

Potatoman

Registered
Nov 6, 2015
Is it their silly your mom jokes, their insults/threats, ego or something else?

I must say that the immature, uncalled for, disproportionate insults--especially when it goes into the extreme areas of misogyny, racism, and even actual threats of violence--are by far the most irritating behaviour of people online, whether it's video games, forums, social media, or what have you. It seems like there's something about hiding behind a screen that gives far too many a license for such truly atrocious behaviour that I can't imagine they would do in person (or so I would hope). (I fully admit that I'm much more reserved and introverted online than in person, but I wouldn't say something to someone online that I wouldn't say to their face--nor would I ever say anything comparable to the offenses of which I speak.) Not to sound like an old man sitting on his porch: it actually makes me pine for when social interactions were more face-to-face than remote and electronic, and for when multiplayer video games involved a group of actual friends sitting in the same living room.

Baiting teamates. I can deal with trolls, ragers, haters, etc... but its the darn people who think they are so good because they get all the kills because they sit, wait for a teamate to die then either KS, get the trade, or run away. Like they don't contribute anything and yet they think they are doing all the work.

Some players can be very irritating and annoying whenever they would act arrogant and immature. This is only a game in the first place. Don't be so childish about it. If ever you lose the game, it doesn't mean it's already the end of the world for you.

All kinds of hostility and aggression are an immediate turn off for me in online games. I'm not playing CSGO as often right now just because of the asshole community that exists in this game. Almost everyone has been playing the game for years and have thousands of hours into the game, so they get mad when other newer players like myself don't understand what seems to be 'common sense' to them. It's infuriating. It's so hard to learn at this game because everyone already expects you to have learned. Albeit I'm not a complete newbie since I have 100+ hours into the game already, but people have different skill levels and learning curves.

I'm not particularly familiar with CSGO, but it seems like a sensible way to deal with that issue for online gaming in general (beyond the apparently unreasonable expectation that people not be jerks) would be to rank players on the basis of skill and experience such that the highly skilled veterans who don't want to play with fresh-faced novices can play separate games from the fresh-faced novices who simply want to learn the ropes, etc. And naturally there could be intermediately graded skill levels between those extremes, as well as games in which different skill levels could intermingle if they so which. Granted, a given game would require enough players of varying skill to warrant each separate grade and the overhead of running the online play is increased somewhat--but this is just my humble suggestion for a solution that would please everyone more than the status quo currently does with over-complicating things too much.

I agree with everyone here. There are a lot of immature players in the gaming communities these days. Trolling is the big thing now I guess, and it's by the far the worst thing to ever happen to video games. I don't understand how ruining someone else's gaming experience could be fun at all. Some players have no respect for people's feelings and their desire to just have fun. A lot of gamers, myself included, use games as outlet to relieve stress and anxiety. It doesn't help when you have people deliberating trying to upset you. Hopefully this fad will pass one day.

Players that do everything possible to screw up whatever goal is in the game and then get pissed when the team loses. This is mainly why I hate doing multiplayer games and stick to single player. If you are working with other players, you don't sabotage everyone else's efforts (unless the entire team is goofing off-I have played in games with others where we try to see how much we can fail at whatever we were suppose to do. It's hilarious and actually fun) and then get made if people don't win. I get that they are griefers, but I get annoyed when I run across one and it kills any incentive I have to play online games with random people.

Immaturity, racism, sexism, the usual stuff. The main reasons why I don't play multiplayer games with a chat, or at least not games where I can't turn chat off. I get that there are a lot of younger players out there, but some idiots are waaaaay too liberal with their mouths. Also, yeah, griefers and trolls who are out to ruin the game for others tick me right off. (Though it's great to wreck someone who's deliberately screwing up a game for others, if you can manage it.)

I don't understand the mentality of ruining someone else's fun for your own amusement, I really don't.

I used to get a lot more bothered with people online, but now I find that I can either laugh at them or block them. Games have come a long way to help with griefing, kill stealing, etc. You can usually block someone, kick someone or ignore them. For example, the current MMO that I'm playing (DC Universe Online - sorry I keep talking about it) took a good approach in terms of kill stealing: you pretty much can't kill steal since you get credit for being in the vicinity of the kill. This takes away so much frustration.

The most irritating thing to me is negative attitudes. I really dislike getting into a game that involves teamwork and listening to people have scream wars over the microphone. I also hate to hear people's random bitter comments towards other players. I can understand getting frustrated with new players, but we were all new at one point. I'd like to see people be a bit more patient and not take the game so seriously. I'm playing to have fun, not to ruin other people's fun.

Perhaps it's a bit of a generational thing, but I've never really found the appeal of the online multiplay with or against totally random people across the globe that modern games emphasize--for precisely the reasons discussed above. I can appreciate it on a technological level--but if I want to play a multiplayer game: I would much rather play with my actual friends, whether we're all in the same room or are playing remotely across a LAN. Given the poor behaviour discussed above, the modern multiplay approach hardly seems like an ideal way to meet and befriend new people. Sure, there's plenty of perfectly fine players out there who play honourably and aren't jerks--but the number of players on the opposite end of the spectrum doesn't make it worth it for me.

For me, it is those teenage gamers that do nothing but game all day long, creating an over-powered character and then brag about it and call you noob, because you simply don`t have the time to game all day long. This is mostly relevant for MMO type of games.

For me, it is those teenage gamers that do nothing but game all day long, creating an over-powered character and then brag about it and call you noob, because you simply don`t have the time to game all day long. This is mostly relevant for MMO type of games.

Yes that's really annoying. So sorry Mr. Ninth grader that I have a job and a child. I can't afford to play this game all day. One day I hope they make a game where you have verify your age. Kinda like a 25 and up game. Yes you'd still have annoying people, however I believe there wouldn't be nearly as many.

I'm not particularly familiar with CSGO, but it seems like a sensible way to deal with that issue for online gaming in general (beyond the apparently unreasonable expectation that people not be jerks) would be to rank players on the basis of skill and experience such that the highly skilled veterans who don't want to play with fresh-faced novices can play separate games from the fresh-faced novices who simply want to learn the ropes, etc. And naturally there could be intermediately graded skill levels between those extremes, as well as games in which different skill levels could intermingle if they so which. Granted, a given game would require enough players of varying skill to warrant each separate grade and the overhead of running the online play is increased somewhat--but this is just my humble suggestion for a solution that would please everyone more than the status quo currently does with over-complicating things too much.

CSGO actually implements that kind of system, but people always find a way to cheat the system. In this case, something that's come to be called Smurfing. Which refers to skilled players who play badly on certain games on purpose just to derank and play with lower skilled people later on, or sometimes even buy new copies of the game and play badly for a while to get a low rank, then dominate the game when they feel like it. This sometimes causes frustration in the other team forcing them to get angry and start pointing fingers at each other. It's happened to me numerous times. It is not pleasant at all to play against smurfs :/ So this system isn't really a solution. Sometimes people are just douchebags and there isn't a known cure for that disease lol.

Yes that's really annoying. So sorry Mr. Ninth grader that I have a job and a child. I can't afford to play this game all day. One day I hope they make a game where you have verify your age. Kinda like a 25 and up game. Yes you'd still have annoying people, however I believe there wouldn't be nearly as many.

Yeah, an age verification system would totally save the communities of many online games, but I think that will never happen, because it would drastically lower the userbase of a game and companies don`t want that, because it would hurt them financially. Take League of Legends for example. It has one of the worst communities in gaming history, and half of the playerbase is under 20 I think.

What I hate most are trolls especially if it's in a ranked game, if you play DoTA, HoN or LoL you know how this feels. To some trolling is an art and it can either be genius funny or just plain annoying. Trolls only want one of two things-- attention or for your team to lose and both are bad for the future of gaming. Noobs can be taught, trash talkers can be muted but trolls? You can't do much about trolls/trolling except report them and nothing really happens when you do.

Perhaps it's a bit of a generational thing, but I've never really found the appeal of the online multiplay with or against totally random people across the globe that modern games emphasize--for precisely the reasons discussed above. I can appreciate it on a technological level--but if I want to play a multiplayer game: I would much rather play with my actual friends, whether we're all in the same room or are playing remotely across a LAN. Given the poor behaviour discussed above, the modern multiplay approach hardly seems like an ideal way to meet and befriend new people. Sure, there's plenty of perfectly fine players out there who play honourably and aren't jerks--but the number of players on the opposite end of the spectrum doesn't make it worth it for me.
The lack of more local multiplayer bugs me as well. Occasionally a game will come out where it's easy to hook up with friends, but all too often local multiplayer is completely thrown out in favour of online multiplayer. I understand that companies don't want to chop up the screen on their super beautiful games anymore, but there are so many games that would be much better with local coop modes.

Playing with some faceless somebody on the other side of the world is, at its most passive, basically like playing with a more-skilled computer ally. Meh!

Reactions: aboleth_lich
CSGO actually implements that kind of system, but people always find a way to cheat the system. In this case, something that's come to be called Smurfing. Which refers to skilled players who play badly on certain games on purpose just to derank and play with lower skilled people later on, or sometimes even buy new copies of the game and play badly for a while to get a low rank, then dominate the game when they feel like it. This sometimes causes frustration in the other team forcing them to get angry and start pointing fingers at each other. It's happened to me numerous times. It is not pleasant at all to play against smurfs :/ So this system isn't really a solution. Sometimes people are just douchebags and there isn't a known cure for that disease lol.

Like I said earlier, I'm not all that familiar with CSGO and I'm not all that surprised to hear that my proposal for segregating games based on skill level has already been implemented.

As for the people who cheat that system, purposefully lowering their rating so that they can score easy victories against- and belittle- less skilled newcomers:

Purposefully avoiding competition against people with the same or greater skill level for an easy victory rather than an actual challenge? There is a word for such a person: a coward.

Purposefully targeting people who are less able to fight back on the same level, and moreover belittling their lack of skill and familiarity with the game at the same time? There's a word for such a person: a bully. (And like the current ads for the latest Assassin's Creed game says: "I'm not overly fond of bullies!")

The lack of more local multiplayer bugs me as well. Occasionally a game will come out where it's easy to hook up with friends, but all too often local multiplayer is completely thrown out in favour of online multiplayer. I understand that companies don't want to chop up the screen on their super beautiful games anymore, but there are so many games that would be much better with local coop modes.

Playing with some faceless somebody on the other side of the world is, at its most passive, basically like playing with a more-skilled computer ally. Meh!

Modern games' apparent disdain for local multiplayer gaming goes well beyond merely not wanting to split up the screen during co-op play. Check out this episode of James and Mike Mondays were they play Godzilla on the PS4 for the very first time and discover, to their great disappointment, that there's no local multiplay! In a freaking Godzilla game, which for the most part consists of Godzilla fighting another monster one-on-one! There's absolutely no reason as to why one player couldn't pick Controller A to player as Monster A, the other player in the same room couldn't pick up Controller B connected to the same console to play as Monster B, and have Monster A and Monster B duke it out! By all means, have online multiplaying in place--but don't sacrifice local multiplaying, especially in a game like this! The two aren't mutually exclusive! Do the developers not remember the fun of playing with or against another player in the same room during their own youth? At this point, I guess we should all be thankful that the modern Mortal Kombat games still let us play like this!